Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show them to me! Any sizes and colours! And now that I have your full attention....please show me your tire planters! :D

I have an abundance of old tires here on our property, and would like to make some planters. Nothing fancy, as cutting into tires isn't something I relish. I'm thinking of perhaps lining the veggie garden with flowers in tires that will attract honey bees, hummingbirds, and butterflies.

However, I may not be very artistic, so pictures for easy ideas would be appreciated. Tips are also received with gratitude. Much thanks!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Tires leach off oils and other toxic substances into the soil. For that reason we don't use them for planters.
My personal opinion is to send them to a recycling center. There are many other appropriate uses for them when ground up and reused.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Dixie, I don't know how to post pix's here but I had the same problem when I bought my 3 acres in OR. Old tires around. No one would take them in that area for recycling. I just love the pix's above elevenpoint by the way! Knowing about the sometimes toxic stuff coming off them, I got help to stack them up 4 tires high with rabbit wire below the top two tires. Covered that wire with landscape cloth and planted them with all kinds of succulents, many that trailed. Worked a treat and it was really nice. I planted wildflowers and other easy to grow plants all around the bases...Showy Asters as they are tallish, Veronica, short sunflowers, Then added some mint as I love it. I did have two tires which a strong neighbor turned inside out. They were white walls so looked really nice in the shade for shade loving plants. Good luck with this, I hope you come back with photos! LQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts