Show me the... MEAT!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Koda, May 12, 2017.

1. Koda

Koda Well-Known Member

The title probably says it all but let's see pictures of the tasty rabbit products that you've gotten! Doesn't have to be from this year seeing as most people probably haven't even processed yet. I just love seeing the meat cuts...

You can just post pictures alone or feel free to say a bit about it! Rabbit breed, amount of meat, your thoughts on the meat compared to other breeds you have tried, anything you would do different, etc.

Thank you for your time and input!

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of my rabbit meat is from Californian, new Zealand or crossed. I got away from fried rabbit so I wait till they are in the 8lb live weight before processing. We can a good part of it and freeze some---all boneless. Even make rabbit link sausage-----some GOOD stuff!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Mmm i want bunny sausage

Koda likes this.
  4. Fire-Man

Bunny sausage HAS to Be eaten S L O W. It Taste So GOOD That your Body can not Handle "IT" if you eat it to Fast!!!! LOL

5. FCLady

FCLady Well-Known Member

We grind up most of the rabbit, duck, sheep, chicken meat. Then use it like hamburger in meatloaf, burgers, chili, casseroles etc. I'm still trying to master this technique -- I'm about 3/4 the way there...

6. Koda

Koda Well-Known Member

WOW! That's what I have to say. Just WOW! For some reason, my mind never thought rabbit=sausage! I am so pleased that you posted this. Truly.

When you say it has to be eaten slow, is the sausage rich? I don't want to confuse your meaning. I agree though, this made me really want some rabbit sausage. Is the fat in the sausage from the rabbit alone or is there a different animal fat in there?

I've seen rabbits butchered, dispatched, whichever term you prefer. Most people I see skin them and leave the rabbit whole, so it was interesting watching someone bone one out and leave the meat whole. Thank you for posting that! I bet those ground meats could serve up some really good enchilada or taco night type stuff too! Yum!

7. Koda

Koda Well-Known Member

@FCLady I just watched this video and I felt it was relevant to the video you posted. I love watching Scott Rea, here he shows deboning a rabbit as well as stuffing it with various mushrooms, pistachios, bread crumbs, and slices of lardo (cured pork backfat, it melts in your mouth). Then he covered it in bacon. If you watch until the end, he cuts it after it rests and he squeezes it showing that it retained juicyness with help from the bacon and the lardo. I don't think I would personally be a fan of pistachio WITH meat but I've never tried it so perhaps it's tasty. He also admits this is not an every day recipe due to the fancier type ingredients. But all the same, bacon-wrapped stuffed rabbit sounds pretty darn good!

8. Fire-Man

Eating it SLOW was a "joke" you can eat it as fast as you want----LOL. "Savor the Flavor" LOL. 15% pork fat is the way I mix it, with some sausage seasoning and some dried, ground hot peppers like red cayenne, etc, just enough to give it a little kick---not to hot for me.

The Taco Stuff might work for you-----I do not eat taco's---LOL.