Show me the... MEAT!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Koda, May 12, 2017.

1. Koda

Koda Well-Known Member

The title probably says it all but let's see pictures of the tasty poultry products that you've gotten! Doesn't have to be from this year seeing as most people probably haven't even processed yet. I just love seeing the meat cuts...

You can just post pictures alone or feel free to say a bit about it! Poultry breed(s), amount of meat, your thoughts on the meat compared to other breeds you have tried, anything you would do different, etc.

Thank you for your time and input!

2. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Cornish X from last summer. Packaged weight ran between 2.5 and 8lbs, butchered at different stages. This was one of the smaller ones

Attached Files:

3. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

I don't raise meat birds, but do eat the young cockerels and old hens from my layer flock.
    Cockerels in spring between 13-16 weeks for that crispy skinned deliciousness, grilled bones make 'killer' stock.
    Nope, not much meat but no cockerel chaos in my small coop....and tasty!
    Old hens go in fall after pullets start to lay to reduce flock numbers and crowding going into winter.

[​IMG]

This was a 3yo non-laying hen.
    [​IMG]

nyhunter and jwal10 like this.
  4. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Two drake muscovy (with many many more expected this season) that i skinned and boned out. Carcasses & innards for stock and everything nicely vacuumed sealed with my foodsaver

Attached Files:

Koda and GeneV like this.
  5. GeneV

GeneV Well-Known Member

Nice. I hear nothing but greatness about muscovies, except the part about processing them.

6. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

I don't even attempt to feather them out which i heard is a b!tch. Skinning is pretty darn easy, just got to do it quick and before everything starts drying out

I might try a local amish processor who will do them for $5/each because this summer/fall I'll have about 30-40 to do

7. GeneV

GeneV Well-Known Member

I don't wanna hijack this thread, but do have questions. Will start new thread.