Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a couple of Boers and are looking to buy a milker now, probably an Alpine. The Alpine will be milked for household uuse and I'm worried about drinking raw milk if shes penned with other goats. Am I just being paranoid or should she be kept separate?? Whatever I get will be from a vet checked herd since I'm afraid of CAE and CL. Please help me keep my kids safe(my 2-legged kind!!) :) I really don't want to pasteurize if I don't have to. It's so hard to know what to do. We have a barn and a 40x50 fenced area thats never been used yet, or she could go in with the Boers---help!!!!!!! Kathy

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Kathy stand at ease, folks have been milking and drinking raw milk for centuries. Just clean your milk jars, udders, teats, buckets thoroughly and enjoy wholesome delicious goats milk...P.s. I always have taste tests with guests and 95% can’t tell it’s even goats milk…yummy

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
No worries and no need to separate. Just be clean about the milking procedure and enjoy!! We run our Jersey cows, Dairy goats together and we have LGD's.....and we drink both cows and goats milk raw...the way it was meant to be drunk! :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew!!! :baby04:
I know.... if I sound paranoid it's because I AM!!! You would not believe the year I just had. I'm 41 and we just had a new baby last July as well as our first grandbaby last July too! My kids are 22, 9, and 1! The new little guy was a total surprise and blessing but he has had a really tough time of it because he was REALLY premature (26 weeks) and weighed 1 lb 9 ozs. He was 11 1/2 inches long, has had 3 surgeries, I've had 3 surgeries, my 22 yr old had surgery and the baby needs one more minor procedure! Thank God I'm a Christian or I'd never have made it through it all! So you can understand why I feel the need to be careful! I learned you should never EVER EVER ask "what more can happen?" Thanks for helping me you all! :angel: :angel: :angel:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts