Should we put this one down, or let him try to survive?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DeltaDawn, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

This morning, my mom went outside to check on the goats and found one, a little wether, Hotrod, hanging from our fence, his feet barely touching the ground... she got him out and apparently, he had jumped on the toolbox, gotten his head stuck, and another goat butted him off the end. When I got in from school, I went outside to check on him, and he was off by himself, about 30 yds. from everyone else, so I got a scoop of feed and put it in the feeding table to try and coax him to come nearer so I could get a good look at him... he didn't come, so i tried corn, his favorite stuff on earth, and he still wouldn't come... I took a rope and with the help of my lovely labrador, I got the rope around his horns and took him into the pen by himself so when Ms. G came over to look at him, we didn't have to run him down... (Ms. G is the principal at my school and asked if she could put her goats on our land until her fence is fixed, she also used to be a vet. assistant)...when I finally got him in the pen, I tried to get a good look at him, but of course he ran off into the shed, but as I was watching him run off, I saw this large squishy mass on his right side, and he was foaming slightly at the mouth... I called Ms. G and told her what had happened and Hotrod's condition, and she said that he probably wouldn't make it, but I didn't know what you guys thought... should I put him down, or let him try and ride it out?

Kalena

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

DeltaDawn,
    I would give him some Probias and maybe a shot of Vit B. Give him sometime by himself, where he wont be forced to run around. Offer him some molasses water. I would bet he is in shock, give him some time. Did you see any cuts ot anything alse like that?
    good luck keep us posted.

3. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

I think there might have been a small cut on his right side about 6 inches farther back than his "mass", it may have also been a tuft of hair that was just missing, or a cowlick, not really sure, but needless to say, he is really spooked right now... when he was out in the field, he was swaying from side to side, which was what concerned me in the first place, but my mom also side that this morning, when she got him out, he kept shaking his head and almost falling, but that could have been from exhaustion...

Kalena

4. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

Ms. G didn't really say one way or they other whether or not she was going to come take a look, she seemed a little pessimistic about the whole thing, but the school is only 2 blocks from here, so I don't see why she couldn't stop and take a look, I'll probably call her in a bit and check...

Kalena

5. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear your little wether injured himself. At first I thought maybe bloat( with the swelling +slobbering), but then the swelling would be on the left side. I think I would try to get some bakingsoda into him. That might help with the foaming at the mouth as it will settle his stomache. Mix 1/4 cup baking soda w/ 1 cup warm water and try to get him to swallow as much as possible. Follow that with some probios if you have it, or just plain yogurt. He is probably a bit shocky, too. A dab of karo syrup or molasses on the tongue may perk him up a bit.
    I would call a vet if you can. This fella must have done something to himself when he was most likely thrashing around trying to free himself.
    Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be able to make the right decision for him.
    You can try a website called "www.goatweb.com", and look under veterinary emergency posts. There are alot of knowledgeable folks there that may be able to offer advice.

6. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

Just being hopeful, but you say it would be on the left side if it was bloating... left side facing his head, or left side facing his rear?

Kalena

7. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

Okay, I signed up at GoatWeb, but it's gonna take 24 hours for them to activate me... I think that I am going to call Jeff (the goat guy @ the feed store, he usually knows what to do, and might come out and look at him... out here, out feed store guys are more flexible and cooperative that the vets... lol)... he's the guy who solved our mastitis problem too... I'll keep ya'll posted on how he does, and will be sure to take all of ya'll's suggestions to Jeff to see which he thinks will work the best...

Thanks so much for ya'll's quick responses!

Kalena

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

"A large squishy mass on the right side" sounds like an internal injury to me. IMO, he will not make it. Of course, i am not there to see what you see, so I am not trying to bum you out. But that was my first reaction.

I disbud all my goats for this very reason. Hanging in the fence. I can't suggest it strongly enough. I had goats in the past with horns and i would find them hanging in the fence in the hot summer sun with other goats bashing them, just like you did. So no more horns on my place.

What ever happens to your little goat, know that you have done everything you could. You are kind, I can tell, you are even letting someone else keep goats at your place. I wish you the very best with your sweet little goat.

I sent you a PM.

9. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Kalena,
    Bloat would be on HIS left side, so if you are facing him it is on your right side/ if you are behind him, your left. O.k.? It would be a somewhat firm swelling behind the rib cage/ in front of the hip bone, where the rumen is. He may be having trouble breathing, slobbering, grunting, and not wanting to move around. It is excess gas in the rumen.
    The baking soda helps to get rid of the acid/gas in the stomach. Keep him upright, even uphill, and encourage him to move around to help allow for the release of gas by burping. The yogurt will keep the good-bacteria in his tummy functioning properly. I wouldn't offer grain or corn until he is eating hay again.
    Some folks might suggest drenching with 2 cups mineral or veg. oil, followed by the baking soda solution, but I don't have experience with that.
    When one of ours bloated after gorging on raw potatoes then taking a tumble down a hill, the baking soda and yogurt worked for her. Whoops, I almost forgot, we also gave her a small dose of Mylanta( the white chalky antacid for people).

10. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

He might not be wanting to eat or swallow if he was hanging by his throat; could be his airways and throat are swollen in which case an anti-inflammatory might help. Good luck!

11. MERRYMEDIC

MERRYMEDIC LIVE YOUR LIFE...

I agree on the internal injury. Could be lung damage or collapse especially with the foaming at the mouth. Fluid in the lungs comes out the mouth as frothy sometimes white or pink sputum. Staggering could be lack of oxygen. Who knows just possibilities

12. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Keep him by himself, make sure he has plenty of fresh water and some hay. He is probably scared and still in a little shock. Feed probios, baking soda etc. just in case he does have bloat. and try to check out the extent of any injuries. I wouldn't be so quick to put him down. Goats have an extraordinary ability to overcome some really unbelievable odds. He could very well be fine. Just give him a little time. Is there a vet who can come look at him? He would be better able to tell if he has any internal injuries.

13. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

This is a tough decision.At the risk of being called callous however,I would suggest that if you are resonably certain that this animal will not survive,then I would recomend that you slaughter him,not put him down.Even a very small kid can be dressed out like a rabbit,and at least you can utilize the meat and skin.You would however,have to do this before you medicate him.I am very sorry for your situation,best of luck.

14. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member

Delta Dawn, My little 3 month old buck got into the azaleas on Friday and Saturday he was in rough shape. The vet said he was more than likely going to die. He is bouncing around like crazy today, back to his old self. Hopefully your storey will end as ours did. God bless.

15. witchysharon

How is your goat doing today?

If your goat is running around and active, does not sound like a goat I would put down. Unless he is suffering and you are positive he has sustained some internal injury that will be fatal.

He probably is not going to feel like eating for awhile, just make sure he has food available in case he gets hungry. Have you had the vet out to assess his condition?

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that putting him down should be made at the time when death seems immanent, not when the results could go either way, imo. There will be a moment when you "know" he will not make it or when he is in pain that is obvious. I hope he recovers though. Keep us posted.

17. witchysharon

I just wanted to add that putting him down should be made at the time when death seems immanent

YEs, I completely agree!

18. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

DeltaDawn, How is the little guy today? I am sure you are in school so hopefully you will let us know when you get home. Prayers go out to you and him. We will be waiting for the word.

19. dragonflyz9C

dragonflyz9C Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are many who have read your post (and have not replied) that are thinking of you and your situation, with thoughts or prayers... I hope that the little guy does a turn around for you.

Nancy

20. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

Sorry about not writing back lately... Got a new job Sunday, and had to work a 9.5 hour shift yesterday, and we were so busy that there was no time to sit a take breather, so when I got home, I went straight to bed, but anywho... Hotrod is still holding on, he's not eating that I know of, but he is associating with the other goats, the foaming has slowed somewhat, the mass on that right side is still growing a little, and my initial thought when I saw it the other day was internal bleeding... I don't know about ya'll's goats, but when one of ours gets hung, the rest of them beat the snot out of them... mean little suckers... but Ms. G said that she is going to tag her goats Friday, and then load 'em up and take 'em home.... so then we'll be back down to our 6 sweeties, not the mean ones she has... lol.... I'll try to keep posted as best I can, but if not, I'll have my mom fill ya'll in... her s/n is janceejan, so when ya'll see her post, just take it as if I was writing it!

Thanks so much,

Kalena