Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious:

Do you think we should have a different name for this forum?

"Work-at-home Business" just doesn't seem like it covers the forum well enough. To me, the name implies that the forum is for work-at-home folks, and not the self employed contractor or entrepreneur that owns an outside business with a full fledged shop.

Does anyone agree, or am I off my rocker?

What do you think?

If the mods agreed to a name change, what should the new name be?

Clove

·
Registered
916 Posts
Work At Home, is a term I try to avoid at all costs even though this is what I do.

First, my office is located on the grounds of my home but is not my home or inside my home. I go into the office around 0630 in the morning and leave around 1900 at night. The infrastructure to run my servers is here but my servers are located off site in a satellite location

If you tell a customer that you work from home, they automatically think you have no overhead and that you are not professional or can do what it is you say you can do.

How many times have I heard. You work from home you don't have any overhead.

I'm not sure about entrepreneur. I've always though that to be one you need to discover or invent something. But as time goes by, I realize that to be one all you have to do is create a business where none previously exists.

Self employed or Small Business Owner more aptly fits my description

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree "work at home" needs to go. The name should have to do more with self employment. I mow commercial accounts and the only work that I do for my business at home is when I am fixing my equipment or doing my billing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am OK with the name, but I feel that self-employment would be better. But if that is too much of hassle for the forum crew, then I don't have a problem with keeping the name. I appreciate the time and effort the forum crew does here. This is by far the best blog website that I have ever seen!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It might not be very homesteady but I work at home for another company so that eventually I will be home to help out with more homestead happenings with a flexible schedule.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am surprised we didn't get more ideas and posts on this topic.

I have been leaning towards "Business & Self Employment", but am open to other ideas.

I really like some of the ideas that have been offered.

Since it seems like we would all like a different name for the forum, how should we proceed in picking a new name?

Clove

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Let me see...how about "homestead entrepreneurs",or "homesteaders businesses", or "homestead money matters", or " self supporting homesteads" , or "Being the boss",
or "Creative income", or "Homestead finances and more", or "Business-on and off the stead". sis

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
How bout we make a huge list and then vote on it a couple of times. First time the list will contain everything that can be thought of "name wise" and the second time we will vote only on those that received a vote the first time. A third time we could vote on the ten with the most votes? sis

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Just to be a wet blanket - but has anyone considered or asked if Chuck would change the name? Has anyone asked the mods?

You wanted a work-at-home forum and Chuck made one for you.

Angie

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to be a wet blanket - but has anyone considered or asked if Chuck would change the name? Has anyone asked the mods?

You wanted a work-at-home forum and Chuck made one for you.

Angie
No, we haven't ask any of the mods yet.

Figured that we could sort out the details before asking for a name change.

Angie, would you forgive me if I offended you with this issue?

Clove

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
"Angie, would you forgive me if I offended you with this issue?"

Heck yeah! I'd sure forgive ya.
Just seems as if you're getting your carts before your horses.

Just reminded me of my children getting friends excited about doing something before finding out if I would have let them doing it, then being surprised if I said nope.

And I'm not a mod for this forum, Melissa and crew are. I just kept seeing this and thinking you got what was asked for and now not satisfied with it. But, this is Angie the person talking and how I see things.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
We changed the Dog forum to the Pet forum way back when. It helped bring in topics we might not have covered for sure. I have to agree I haven't really visited this board as much as I might. Not sure its the name or more of a lack of time but being self employed I probably should!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts