Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I don't think spaying will calm her down. I just don't want to pass along undesirable traits. I talked to a friend that trains GSD as guard dogs. He said I can sit in a a few classes (they meet at the park on a closed field) and help get her socialized. His dogs will not respond to her barking, etc. He said she is insecure because she was helpless during the robbery. He said she feels responsible and wants to do all she can to protect us. So now she is preceiving everything as the enemy. I have to let her know that everything is not a threat and she can trust her instinct on what is a threat and what isn't. I will go to the library today after work and see if I can find some training books to help too. I love this dog and want her to be happy and safe to have around. She can't be happy being on guard 24/7.

Your friend that is willing to let you sit in on sessions has the right idea. It will also help you to understand her better too and if you are at all nervous when bringing her into situations may help calm her(dogs can sense nervousness and become protective). Spaying will not help nor will breeding,as far as traits go she displays more lack of training and confidence. Training a dog can be quite fun and she sounds like a keeper.

I second the motion that you go to that training class with her. Since they are used to GSDs, they can probably help you get her under control again. Spaying will help even her temperment, it will probably help some, as she won't get "hormonal" at certain times.
I hope they can help you with her. If you can train her into a reliable "stop" command when she is in aggressive mode, that will probably do the trick. Since you are moving so far out in the country, I would want to keep her, too, as long as there isn't any chance of her attacking anybody accidentally, as that would be a disaster for you ! Good luck with her - she sounds like a great dog, who has just gotten onto the wrong track..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.