Should This Chicken Go In The Pot Or The Ground?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fla Gal, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

This situation has gone beyond my comprehension. Charlie, the next door neighbors rooster, is back in the yard again today. He's been here since about 9:00 this morning. It's been over 5 hours and the owner hasn't checked to find out where he is or why he isn't home. Even with a clipped wing he managed to go over the 4' fence back into our yard.

It's our impression that Charlie hasn't been fed or watered and has been left to fend for himself. The first time I saw the little guy he was perched on a wall shelf in the neighbors kitchen. There was no food or water bowl visible.

This idiot neighbor is harbouring illegal aliens and collecting money from them to pay the bills and one of these guys apparently owns Charlie. He's the one that came to catch Charlie both times he got over the fence. Last night the neighbor came over here with Charlie in his arms, asked for me and began cussing me for clipping Charlie's wing, told me I had no right to do that and I'd better leave "his" chicken alone. I did tell him if he kept Charlie at home I wouldn't have to clip his wing.

Just 10 minutes ago I saw Charlie jump at Crashy's (one of my oldest hen's) face. That sucker is dead meat. What I'm wondering is will he be suitable to put in the pot not knowing what he's been eating. I'm sure these people can't afford chicken feed and and the poor little guy is so small because he hasn't had enough to eat. One of our 2 month old Ameracauna chicks is almost twice the size of him. Would you put this rooster in the pot or in the ground?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

call immigration on the fool, then call the county animal shelter and give him to them, or call the local law enforcement let them ticket the owner. After court and costs they may get the idea.. ?? do you know anybody thay might take him. As theres not much met on A Bantam..

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

As long as he's not eating toxic waste, I don't think it matters. Chickens will eat anything. My aunt never feed her chickens chicken feed. SHe fed them scraps and let them free range. THose chickens were good eating. I'd put him in a pot and make some good stock out of him. Also, if the neighbor is harboring illegals, I'd call INS.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

You surely do not want to put yourself in the same category as the neighbour - dishonest. The bird isn't yours, so don't steal it.

Instead, contact the immigration people with the information you have; then contact the local animal welfare people to come and collect the rooster and take care of it. (If they say you can have it, then you can do what you like with it.)

This way, your conscience will be clear on all counts, and you'll have done The Right Thing.

5. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

Put the rooster n the pot and make chicken and bisckets and invite the neighbor over for dinner.....

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Hey if you wanna beat up on something, Blue Ridge sounds available.....

7. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

INS won't do anything, but the local county enforcement and whatever department handles landlord/tenant issues probably will. They love to come out and give out tickets that carry fines.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Frustrating, isn't it?

9. Fla Gal

Yes Cyng, it is frustrating. INS or the county had been called on the situation, not by us, and three deputys showed up about four days ago. Apparently the illegal aliens disappeard fast enough, or had green cards, which I seriously doubt.

culpepper, in the state of Florida, USA, possession is 9/10th's of the law... meaning, if his ownings is on our property, and they carelessly leave it there, they will have to go to court to convince the court why their belongings are on your property, without them paying rent on said property that their stuff is stored on.

It isn't stealing on the part of the person that's getting rid of someone elses property that's no longer wanted to be on their land. It's abandonment on the part of the origional owner and the property owner gains rights to the said property, thereby gaining rights to dispose of the said property of the squatter or their belongings.

Ozark-Dew, Charlie wasn't endangered until he tried to get Crashy in the face for the second time. He's resting comfortably in freezer camp now. :flame:

By the way, nice catch on the cat. Sorry I missed the pic you had to delete. Would you be kind enough to pm me a pic? I'd like to hang it on my wall beside a picture of Charlie. :p

Edited to add: It's nearly 12 hours since Charlie got into our yard this morning and the owner hasn't once today asked us about him. Such concerned owners. :boring:

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Destructive animals have to go.You tried,he died.Sorry Charlie.

BooBoo

11. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

LOL :D

12. Fla Gal

Hey BooBoo, it reminds me of the "Sorry Charlie" tuna commercials! But you're right, desturctive animals have to go. Bye bye Charlie :nana:

13. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

So what happened to the Wal-Mart idea? :shrug:

14. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

15. Fla Gal

Ed, when he jumped into Crashy's face for the second time the Wal Mart thing just flew out of my head. Yes... I was born blonde.

Gosh, it would have been so much more fun than pulling his little head off his neck for spurring me. :nana:

16. Fla Gal

I'm a fan of the Weston A. Price site. To me they have a lot of good information and some great recipes. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to throw in a lot of veggies to try to make a heavy veggie stew. :)

17. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

By the way, what is the story behind the "bunny poo monger" under your name?

18. Fla Gal

I have to put buckets under where the bunnies poo so the chickens won't keep scattering it into the dirt when they're scratching around. They scatter it from here to where ever bunny poo goes when they throughly scratch through it and kick it around. They're doing away with my resource of worm food.

I have to monger (hoard, store) the poo so the chickens don't run me out of bunny poo to give to my worms that give me castings, to put in the garden so I don't have to use commercial fertilizer that contains harsh chemicals and bunny poo is said to be the best of all manures to fertilize a garden.

Now, you know the rest of the story... :)

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

contact PETA I am sure there a chicken rehabilitation refuge nearby.

20. Fla Gal

Just a little late for that CN unless they have rehab for frozen chicken. :nerd: