Should I worm new doe who might be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, May 9, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Sunday we went down to a neighbors house, and ended up bringing home a Nubian doe that I milked for them last year and liked real well. Anyway, she has been running with the buck for months and might be pregnant. Problem is her coat is very dull, and honestly part of the reason I took her home, is cause she was in a mud lot, not well taken care of and needs some TLC. Anyway I think she could stand a real good worming, and a tetanus shot, but I only have panacur on hand. Do you suggest going ahead and worming her now even though she might be pregnant. I have heard that the panacure if given to late in pregnancy can cause abortions in goats, is that right?

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I would get some Ivermectin instead. You can buy a small tube of the horse paste stuff for just a few bucks. And it's safe during pregnancy. Normally, I wouldn't worm during pregnancy, but for goat who is new to your place and who doesn't look too good, I think it's a really good idea.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, Ivermectin is safe during pregnancy. With the horse paste wormer, you have to give a pretty big dose though. Don't know what that is as i use the injectible Ivermectin orally for mine. perhaps someone will come along that knows. Also, besides needing wormer, the rough coat may indicate that the goat is mineral deficient. make sure that she has access to a good loose goat mineral salt.

4. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Thanks, come to think of it I might have some Ivermectin that we used on the horses left over. I'll give her a round tonight.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I just wormed my doe that is due anyday now with horse paste Ivermectin...125 pound doe gets 250# horse dose (Double dosage). I also give pig paste and selenium E gel when I worm...I put the paste on a piece of bread and "treat" the goat.

6. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We use Positive Pellets. Our goats think they're treats! We gave them as late as a week prior to kidding. It is labeled as safe for goats in all stages of pregnancy, and we have found that to be the case. The only issue is that they are not as long lasting as I understand the pastes to be. You need to worm monthly, or until you switch back over to your regular wormer. We've never tried the pastes, because they aren't labeled for goats, and we do milk. Positive Pellets are safe for lactation as well. If you go herbal, be wary of "wormwood" it is not recommended in nursing moms, I would imagine the same would apply to a dairy goat.