Should I Paint It?

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by MoonRiver, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I fenced in my patio a few years ago. I decided I didn't like the spacing, so I took all the slats off and put them a little closer together. That meant I had to buy some new slats, so some are aged and some are relatively new. They are cedar.

So should I paint the fence? If I do, I will take all the slats off and paint them, paint the posts and cross pieces, and then reinstall the slats.

patio fence.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    COSunflower likes this.
  2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I'd find a weathered grey stain and just stain those new boards. I love that soft, weathered look. Between painting brick and now those boards, you really want to make work for yourself in a couple years as the paint wears don't you? :confused::eek::rolleyes:;)

COSunflower and RichNC like this.

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Easiest way is to get a can of deck/fence paint, put it in a garden sprayer and spray the fence as is. If you take down the fence and paint each slat, use screws and a screw gun or you will be forever getting the job done. Been there, done that. Cut a six foot fence down to four, replaced every nail with screws. Painted it with a garden sprayer and iron rust mixed with diesel. A light red result. Too light, bought deck paint.

Checked today at Home D. Fencing is now only 5/8ths instead of 3/4, will not match old boards, so if I want to make repairs I will have to move "new" stuff all to one location, move "old" boards together so that they match.

4. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

Actually I'm going to sell it. The house isn't much (2 bedroom, 1 bath), so I'm putting my effort into landscaping and anything to enhance the 3+ acres. All my double knockout roses died, so I ordered boxwood shrubs to replace them on my front hill. I'm doing most of the projects I had planned on doing but never got around to.

COSunflower likes this.
  5. audrey77

audrey77 Member

I think it's ok and it doesn't need painting. As an option, I would paint it completely in some different color like soft yellow or light brown using simple paint sprayer.

The main thing is to choose the right color, but I also agree with the previous answers: this weathered look is nice.

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    COSunflower and Alice In TX/MO like this.
  6. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

Yes. It looks unfinished and like a repair job which could bring questions to the mind of a prospective buyer.

RichNC likes this.
  7. AggieChris

AggieChris Active Member

When I want to age cedar I get a mason jar, white vinegar and 0000 steel wool. Put the steel wool in the jar, fill with vinegar then let it sit for a day. Paint it on the new boards and it’ll age almost immediately. If you have an extra picket I’d suggest testing it on that.

COSunflower likes this.
  8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Also, take some of the new board off and swap them with older boards in less conspicuous areas so you don't have wide bands of mismatched boards in one spot.

It's not worth the effort to paint them when you're trying to sell the house.

9. Farmerjack41

Farmerjack41 Well-Known Member

I use stain instead of paint. The paint will usually start pealing no matter what you do to prep. Stain will just get dull and faded, I give it a light sanding and reapply new stain. If wood looks ok, don't even sand, just pressure wash.

roadless likes this.
  10. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the time of year that new homes are fresh on the market. So, I'm not sure you have time for such a job.

Your patio is lovely. You'll want to remove most of the items, so to make the area look as big as possible for the prospective buyer. If you really want to paint, white would open the area up visually. Just be sure to add; new cedar, new paint, to your home's listing.

11. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with those who say just power wash and stain if needed.
    Stain weathers better than paint, less work and more natural.

COSunflower and RichNC like this.