Should I or shouldn't I??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, May 24, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Now that my fencing problem is solved :happy: , and my water supply will become much easier this week--no more hauling buckets! :dance: --, and someone has asked about buying pork :hobbyhors, am I crazy to consider getting two more piglets? It would be terrible if they didn't sell, but if they did could I actually turn a profit? I'd have to get 2, age 2 months, because the others, age 4 months, are too big for one to live with, right? I know where I can get some +/- Yorkies. Mine live outdoors but these were born in a big shed and have access to the outdoors. Could they quickly adjust to life outside? I suspect they aren't as healthy in general as Walter's, but they don't have a lovely big pasture to live in and won't here, either. The sow had 16 (17 previous litter), 4 died, the others looked robust at a few days old, with one tiny runt. He has a boar and I don't think she ever gets a break in breeding.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If you enjoy the pigs I would go for it. I don't think I have heard of anybody yet that couldn't get their pigs sold. The main thing is that you have to get out there and sell them but it looks like you have a start on that. I wouldn't worry about getting two of the pigs you talk about. As long as they look healthy when you pick them out they should be fine.

Heather

3. Firefly

Thanks Heather. I am this close to doing it!

4. Firefly

:grump: I finally decided to do it, called the guy and missed his last piglets by two days! Anyone know of piglets in the Brattleboro, Keene, Greenfield MA area? :Bawling: