Should I ??New Dog for my Homestead ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Here is my situation . I had to have my Akita put to sleep about 3 weeks previous because of old age as he was in his 12th. year . I said I wasn't going to get another dog for several months but I am feeling very alone with out a 4 legged friend to share my life with . So , I'm riding thru town and I see this lady planting small plants and this absolutely big and beautiful Pit Bull that is a Buckshin color all over with an enormous head and neck . I ask my buddy to circle the block and he pulls up and I talk to this young lady about her dog . Of course , I ask her if he is Friendly :eek: :worship: and she says..."Yes , Of course" and then she takes him off the cable he is tied to ...After I've gotten out of the Car :eek: and I'm trying to remember IF I've got an Extra pair of Skivvies in my Mess Kit maybe . This house is alot higher than the street and she is standing on the 3rd. Tier and I'm at street level as this "dog" comes bounding toward me and tries to lick me to Death . He has the sweetest disposition of any dog I've ever met . So , we get to talking and she is trying to place him in a home with some one like me who will treat him and love him as much as She obviously does . She raises Pits with Good temperments ...NO fighters , ever . She has lots of folks wanting to buy him , which she suspects might be for fighting purposes and so she is looking for a good home for Him . She had this dog since he was 6 weeks old . He is well mannered and responds to her commands .
    ........................I'm wondering if he would adjust to a new owner (she says Yes , definitely) , how Can I tell if he might develop Hip problems later on( he is 20 months old) and IF my 4' 6" field fence around my 5 acres will keep him in side . She feels that because he is so friendly and because of his beautiful confirmation that he might be stolen so I'll have to build a dog run for him before I bring him home with me . She has agreed to give him to me when I'm ready after I get his dog run finished . Also , he gets along very well with Any breed of dog so she has socialized him very well . I've Never owned a pit before but this particular dog has changed my WHOLE attitude towards the breed . I want to bring this guy home with me and become his friend . So , are there any other issues here that I need to be concerned With before I bring him home ??? thanks , fordy.. :)

2. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

What are the odds? You're meant to be together.
    It's divine intervention, I tell you.

Let go and let God (doG spelled backwards) take care of it.

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

If you feel that strongly go for it!!! I had an American Staffordshire Bull Dog he was a hand full!!! But he was so loving. Pits are strong willed dogs you GOT to give respect to get it.
    Your Akita I am sure was a strong willed dog pits are just lovers if they are raised right. I have 2 rotties now and they are such good dogs very loyal and fearless thier temperment is so mellow. But I know if I need protection they would be right there as will the pit. Try not to keep him pinned up too much tho they get really rowdy they are a true people dog and need that companionship a lot.
    Can you have the dog on a trial basis? like 2 weeks? That way you would know if you two would get along. That would be ideal. Pits are a very smart dog and some folks have a hard time with the breed. I hope it works out you will love him tons!!!

4. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

I'm really worried that you are going to get some negative feedback on here due to the bad rap that this breed has had in the past. Rotties have also been known to have bad press due to attacks, but I found mine to be an extreemly loving pet while I had him.

I do house inspections for a property management company. 2 weeks ago, I had several walk-thru's on tenant homes. I came apon one elderly lady who greeted me with the friendliest dog I have ever seen in my life! It was a beautiful black and white pit bull. He wanted all of my attention and was not satisfied with me talking to his owner without at least getting his head petted at the same time. I guess his owner thought I was bothered by this because she scolded him for misbehaving and told him to sit. Well, he did for maybe 25 seconds then he started squirming and eventually began howling to get our attention. When I laughed at him, I guess he took it as a gesture to get back up because he ran up to me for more attention then brought me a tattered ball to throw as I continued to talk. When I finally walked towards the door to go, he ran to the end of the couch (closest to the door) with his funny head looking childlike at me as if to say "Why are you going so soon? You just got here!"

I left that home totally inlove with that dog. I have thought of him many times ever since. When the time comes to replace my little pug with another dog, based on how I feel about that adorable pitbull, I'll certainly lean towards getting one.

I can't help but encourage you to plunge in only because I tend to follow my heart when making decisions and based on how my heart feels about that special dog, I would definetly go for it.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

5. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Fordy, do some homework not only on the breed but also on the "topic" of pit bulls. Make sure that you know as much about what you're jumping in to as you can before you leap - if possible... :)

Having said that, I've met some absolutely wonderful pits not only from breeders that properly trained their dogs but also rescues that had to be destroyed simply because they were pits and the shelter had a "pits come in but they don't go out" mentality. If the dog is that highly regarded and both you and the current owner are concerned about it disappearing spend the $12 and have him/her 'Lojacked" with a microchip - at least that's all a microchip SHOULD cost. Vets will try and whack you for more. Keep an ear out for shelters having "microchip days" or call a few in the area and see if they can do it four you. It's usually less costly that way. Unfortunatley, they still don't come with directional locators at all but if something should happen there's at least a chance that you'll find the dog at some point. I was sold on the chips before the Florida woman found her stolen Peek in Georgia or Alabama six years after it was snatched.

And when it comes time to both register the dog AND renew your homeowners insurance policy you do not own a purebred pit bull. You own a pit lab or retriever or anything else cross. Insurance carriers these days are becoming more and more adamant that they will not insure properties that have pits, rotties, dobermans, etc despite the fact that it's golden retrievers, I believe, that have the highest human bite ratios. Insurance companies have developed actual lists of dogs that are "uninsurable". Knowing you from the board I know that you can find some creative way around this... ;)

If you like the dog enough and are ready for another one then by all means go for it. Just be aware of what you're getting into with pits. And like it or not, keep him/her on leash whenever you're out in public. All it will take is for one misread bark or move around an overly cautious/quick triggered individual and you'll have a dead dog on your hands. We had a case similar to that with a Chow last year here. Dog was chasing a ball, kept running to greet a child, barked, and an off duty uniform drew down on the dog and it was all over with before it even started. No sense risking that if you don't have to.

Once we've got enough space here for multiple dogs we've already planned on having at least one with us - possibly more. Good luck with him/her.

6. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

I have also known some very sweet pits. My son has a couple of them. My ex and her hubby loved my son's and his wife's pits so much that my daughter gave them one. The ex's pit is super sweet and my Mastiffs favorite playmate...
    She loves our old lab but he just can't give her the hard paying like a young strong 70 lb pit... of course our Mastiff is the only one who can actually beat the pit in a game of tug of war...
    If raised right pits can be great loving dogs... They are however pretty high maintenance dogs when compared to a mellower breed.

8. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I also think pit bulls are a great breed. They are soooo sweet with people, but one that is really good around all other dogs is a rare and wonderful find (which is the only reason I don't have one). The thing I see most often with them is that they will play nicely for awhile, but if other dogs start getting rowdy or edgy, they'll jump into the fray and fight like pros, which can be very nasty. I've spent a lot of time in urban dog parks, and I've seen this same thing happen again and again. Also, they tend to do best with dogs of the opposite sex, and some don't seem to like dogs that are much bigger than them. None of this is completely unique to pits, but it seems to be more frequent and dangerous with them. That said, they really are great with people--my best friend has one that lets her 4 year old daughter climb all over her, steal her toys and food, drag her around, and even occasionally land on her when jumping off the couch. The dog doesn't so much as grumble.

One other thing--they truly have tons of energy. They can be real troublemakers if they don't get a lot of real exercise every day. Probably more like a border collie than an Akita in that sense.

I think you should try to arrange with the woman to have the dog (and her, maybe), come to your place and meet any other animals you might have. I've seen pits that live really well with cats, but some definitely see them (and all other small, fast animals) as prey. Also, since they were originally bred to fight bulls, I'd want to check this guy out with your larger livestock, too.

Here's a great website of a pit bull enthusiast who tells you more than you may ever want to know about the breed, its temperament, and history.

http://www.workingpitbull.com/aboutpits.htm
    http://www.workingpitbull.com/activities.htm

The second link shows pit bulls doing all kinds of wonderful things, including herding sheep and ducks!

Also, I'm glad you're willing to build a run for him. Because pit bulls are so friendly, it can be very easy to steal them, and there are toooo many horrible people out there who want to see these dogs fight. The ones that won't fight are either used as bait to train other dogs, or shot, or set on fire and burned to death (more often than you'd think). I know it's a huge problem in both Chicago and Pittsburgh, and I heard that it's really rampant in more rural areas, too.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope this guy works out for you. He sounds like a gem, and I'm sure you'd give him a wonderful home.

9. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

My parents had the sweetest pit-bull I've ever met. Their 5 year old grandchild lived there with them and she would hang on his neck and they played very well together. However, there was not a fence that could keep him in. They even ran electricity and he scaled it like it was nothing. He died unfortunately when in an accident that's too horrible to tell you about. But we all cried, he changed our opinions of pit bulls.

10. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

My only worry would be your homeowners insurance. A lot of companies (actually most) won't cover you if you have a pit bull. But, a lot of those same companies won't cover you if you have an Akita, so you may already know this. Just a heads up. My in-laws have a beautiful buckskin pit bull that just loves to lick your face. He gets along fine with female dogs, but males are another story all together. So, I would say go for it!

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Pitbulls should be wonderful with people, after all, when not fighting other dogs or bulls, they were usually expected to be family dogs. Contact breed rescue and ask them what they know about the line this dog comes from. Also, ask questions (or more likely, answer theirs) about whether or not this dog would fit into your lifestyle. A tired dog is a good dog, and you will need to exercise him hard every morning before work, and again in the evening. I'd go out when there are people about so that the neighbors will get to know him as a nice dog.

Do not leave this dog outside when you are not home. He is very easy to steal. If any dog gets into mischief in your neighborhood, fingers will be pointing at the pit bull. He may or may not jump your fence. Most dogs will not jump a fence, but if sufficiently provoked, some will occassionally.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Best dog my Daddy ever had was a pit bull/rottie mix named Bubba. Bubba didn't have a mean bone in his body. He never showed aggression toward people or other dogs...let the grandkids hang all over him. It's been several years since Bubba passed away and we all still miss him. Bubba was family. In fact, his photo hangs on the wall in the den with the rest of the family.

13. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's no better dog than a well socialized molosser breed(APBTs, staffies, rotts, mastiffs ect.), just remember this is an energetic breed they need something to occupy their time else they'll find something and more often than not it'll be something you dont/wont like, do some research on the breed and talk to other APBT owners.
    here're a couple links you might find helpful:

http://forums.doghobbyist.com/forum.php?catid=41

http://www.bulldogbreedsforum.com/forum/index

http://dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm

also, these dogs are incredibly strong and are often used in weight pulls, and very loyal dogs, they dont seem as prone to joint problems as other breeds their size are, you can have him hip checked by a vet but I'd think he'd be showing signs of atleast a little discomfort by now.
    if you'd like I can dig up more APBT sites for you.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I just wanted to acknowledge all the excellent and informed responses I've had on my question . I've never really spent much time around Pitts so my knowledge base needed alittle UPdating . I'm going to build an 8' x 40' dog run that will provide shade 24\7 and I've got to find some kind of Plastic Tank a couple of feet deep that will hold a couple hundred gallons of water so "Tank" can take a dip when it suits him . My home is 450 feet off the road so maybe that will keep him from spending alot of time down on the front of my land . I'm going to drive over and visit with this lady who is also a breeder of Pits and spend some time picking her brain about this partucular breed of dog .
    ...............After reading all the positive responses I'm much more encourged and feel that I can give this guy a home that will protect him and give him access to all 5 acres and still keep him out of Harm's way . Again , thanks to all who took the Time to give of their knowledge and experiences with this breed of DAWG..., fordy.. :)

15. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

One of the sweetest, friendliest dogs I’ve known was a Pit Bull. I believe that a dog is what you make them. Disposition aside if you raise a dog with kindness and care if believe that you will have a good dog when it grows up. You can make any dog mean with cruelty and abuse.

I’d say go for it—sounds like a match made in heaven.

I do agree about keeping it inside when you’re not home—sounds very steal able.

I think the point about insurance was a good one. I’ve read about towns where it’s illegal to own a PB because of the bad rap they’ve gotten.

Good Luck