Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No end in sight on the 100 degree weather and I don't want to torment DD 19 mo who hasn't had to go out in this weather but will this week) for afternoon milking. After feeding the cats I'm bringing in a little under a quart a milking. I was planning on switching to one until Sept or ealy Oct, but now I am thinking about making the switch.... thoughts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My hands became so ruined by milking 3 goats, twice a day that I sold off 2 of the goats, and am milking the one that's left only once a day. She has continued a plentiful supply, nearly 1 gallon per day, even now in late summer.
My hands have speedily healed up, but are still twangy and stiff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
She was then giving over twice as much = over a gallon per milking. But, that was the end of April, much closer to when she kidded before I bought her. I went to once per day milking in mid June, while I still had the other two.
They told me she's a long lactater-great! And they said she's Alpine/Toggenburg cross, 4 years old.
Her milk goes to my Fila puppies, and their mothers. When all three milk goats were here, all the other Filas got lots of milk, too, with extra to freeze, as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts