should I get these goats??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Oct 15, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Went to look at three goats--selling together only--a nub doe, alpine doe and nub wether. The does are dry as of a five weeks ago. As I felt the alpines udder, I noticed a few lumps and one half of her udder is very hard. I'm not sure what this is :shrug: :shrug: What could it be?
    The nubian looked alright, but one side of her udder was very large in comparison to the udder(but not hard at all). He said that when he milked them, the udders were even, and he never experienced any hardness in either goat. He has never had a case of mastitis either.
    They are still given some grain and free choice hay. They seemed alert and healthy--although the alpine was a bit thin.
    One more thing, the nubian had a funny looking belly. I've seen petting zoo goats with very large extended type bellies before, but never a dry dairy goat.

We do want to get these animals, but not if these may present health problems. It's $300 for all three....

2. melina

melina Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch them. That's alot of money for dry, lumpy, uneven uddered goats. For $300, I want to see papers, milk, and a guarantee that they've been bred back. Not that you can milk papers, but at least if you breed them you've got something worthwhile in the kids. Around here, that's top dollar for a goat unless she's a *milker or a show prospect. I'm in Western Arkansas.

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I would theink that the doe with a hard udder has probably had a problem in the past. As far as the nubian, Many times if a doe has a single kid, the kid will only nurse one one side leaving the udder one sided until the doe is completely dried up. If this is the case, her could be even when she kids again.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

5 weeks dry with milk in her udder, you could have eaisly put her up on the milkstand and milked her out all the way. At no time are lumps normal in an udder, dry or not. With LSU giving free mastitis test (info up in Goatkeeping 101 on dairygoatinfo.com) you could also have taken some of the milk with you to test. Plus this way you know if she is really milkstand tame. Figure the wether is free, or meat for your freezer, so $150 per doe. Without paperwork a dry doe isn't worth this much, you don't know this person from Adam to know what he is not telling the truth about. A thin, dry doe eating grain....hmmmmm. Lots of red flags. If you liked the does and are willing to have unregistered, maybe unbred stock...do you have something to breed them to? Blood tests for pregnancy are $15, CAE tests are $6 plus shipping and someone to pull blood. I would rather do the testing before the purchase rather than after. Did you see any lumps or bumps on the jaw, old scars in that area, down the neck or in the brisket? Put them up and also look at their feet. Good luck with this. Vicki

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Sounds a bit fishy. I am not against unregistard goats - that is all I have ever had and so far they have sold well. But that is pygmies.

I think you need to have a longer talk with the owner about their condition or just leave it.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're having second thoughts about these goats. You might want to have a large animal vet or experienced goat person look at these does for you. Do you know when they kidded, and why the owner quit milking them? Does tend to dry off at the same time each year-if these are used to drying off after 3 months, they will not make much milk for you.

For $300, you could buy a decent registered doe from a CAE/CL free herd. Maybe not show quality, but an honest, healthy milker.

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I say no.......... for $300 that's basically $50 for the wether and $125 for each doe and that's a bit much for unreg does that are dry and have lumpy udders........ not a bargain if you ask me. But thats just me.

8. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

I knew they weren't a bargain...I just wondered what was up w/ the hard udder. My gut tells me that this guy wasn't lying, he just doesn't know all that much about goats. We actually spent about 2 hours there--only about 20 minutes w/ the goats. He hasn't really handled them since they were dried off(he's been going back and forth to kansas). I thought I might offer them a good home for a way cheaper price IF the hard udder wasn't a huge health concern. I didn't feel any lumps around the jaw areas.

DARN IT!! I need more does!!

Thanks everyone!

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

how far are you willing to travel?
    I have a friend who has milking goats for sale in Tenn. I haven't figured out pm here yet but you can e-mail me daddycallsmeroo@yahoo.com and I can send her information to you.