Should I get rid of this Doe?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kisota, May 20, 2005.

1. kisota

kisota Active Member

Dear All,
    I am very new at this site, but the short time I have been reading the post, I litterly Love the Fourm. The question I would like to ask is this, I have a Doe that I bought, (NZW) and I thought she was pregnant after I tried to put her with the Buck and she would not take him. She started gaining weight and I put a nest box in with her. Well she pulled hair and did everything she was suppose to do but have her little ones.. I left the nest box in about a week and a half and took it out yesterday. behind the box was one newborn kit that I take had been born dead and she removed it from the box. Today I tried to breed her again, but to no avail. Should I keep her or get rid of this Doe. My other Does I have no trouble with.

Thanks so much in advance
    Kisota :yeeha:

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I wouldn't write her off yet. It isn't uncommon for rabbits to have trouble delivering on their first litter, When you got her she was pregnant, do you know if this is her first? Within the last month I had two first litters on the wire, no survivors. If a bun has a stressful delivery, ( I count delivering on wire stressful, at least for me) I like to wait for a couple extra weeks before rebreeding, to give her a chance to recouperate. My dutch is due in 9 days. Hopefully she'll do better than the last two.

3. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

I would give her another chance. The first time is very stressful and doesnt always happen the way we want. At the very least 1 more chance.
    Rancher

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I give my rabbits two or three chances. If she has another non-motherly, no pulling fur and one baby, that's pretty bad, but if she has more than one and is at least showing signs of motherliness, try once more.