Should I get a goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rabbitgal, Oct 24, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I thinking of geting a saanen goat but I don't know if its worth my time and money, what are the disadvantages of geting a goat? Should I get a baby or a "old lady"? How much do they go for? And were can I find a "good" goat, ie not a mix, and good milker? :shrug:
    (Rosie..Hannah's sis) Can you help?

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

It depends what you want a goat for - milk? If that's the case, look for an older doe, one that is milking now. If you get a kid, you've got to wait until she's old enough to breed, then five months before she kids and you get any milk - and you have to train her to milk, when you don't know how to do it yourself! At least if you buy a milking doe, you should be able to watch her being milked, see how much milk she gives and taste it to see if you like it.

Anyway, you'll need to get two goats, they really don't like to be by themselves.

You will be committing to twice a day milking for at least 10 months of the year (two months dry before she kids - for her sake). Once you're experienced, the milking itself doesn't take that long - and I find it quite calming.

My Saanen gives about 4 litres (more or less - it's never exactly the same) a day, and my little Nubian cross, just over 1 litre a day (not a lot but she's such a sweetie and it's her first freshening). That gives us all the milk we can drink as well as more cheese than we can consume (I'm going to start selling to friends soon!). Maybe next year we'll get a pig to raise on the excess, as I'll have three big goats milking.

Word of warning - goats are addictive. I started in May 2005 with two Nigerian Dwarfs. I now have 14 goats! They really are charming, personable creatures.

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've never had to ask whether goats were worth my time or money. Even if I didn't breed or milk I'd keep some just for pets. Most of your standard breed dairy goats should give ample enough milk to cover your needs. Of course, if you get a couple does you'd need to secure stud service if you don't purchase a buck.

4. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Should you get a goat? Nah, you should get at least 10!

Ruth

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

It sounds like I should get a older goat,ok

My mom is planing on geting goats.

ok
    thanks for all the help! Rosie, Hannah's sis

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

To start off with! no way, IF I get one, :)

7. moosemaniac

I started with 2. That was Spring 2004. Now I have 35.

Ruth

8. pookshollow

Uh-oh! I'm only a year (and 21 goats :dance: ) behind you.

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

unless you are planning on showing the goat you can still have a very good goat that is a mixbreed or even an American (not purbred but conforms to the breed standard).

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

My dad only wan'ts purbred goats no mixes. So I gess I will look for a older goat :) , but are saanens a good choice? :shrug:
    Rosie

11. moosemaniac

Rosie, don't be fooled. Americans ARE purebreds, papers and all.

Ruth

12. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Ok thanks! but are saanen a good choice?
    Rosie :confused:

13. moosemaniac

Sanaans are awesome...and huge!

I have American Alpines, but a good friend raises Sanaans. http://www.kickadeehill.com/
    Check them out and if you have any questions on the breed, Marilyn will be thrilled to help you out.

Ruth

14. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

15. pookshollow

Huge being a relative term. :p Polly, my Saanen, is definitely my biggest goat at about 140 lbs, but she's also the most polite and easiest to handle. I rarely need to put a collar on her. And almost the quietest - Sara, my Alpine yearling, is the quietest but she's the most contrary of the "big" goats. :hobbyhors

16. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Yup Americans are purbreds.

17. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Thank you for all of your help! :)
    Rosie-

18. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Just going to say..

Good Luck on what ever type of goat you get. Goats are a lot of fun but times can get hard.. I started out with just 3 goats and now got close to 15 I love them.. Goats are very helpful when your down in the dumps also.

Don't get just 1 goat you need 2 or more.. Goats love to be with one another not alone.. Remember to keep plenty of meds incase one gets down on you in no time that is very important and lots of fresh water and etc... Just wanted to add that since didn't sit and read everyone post this morn. If you go on a trip besure to have someone to goat sit for you while gone because if one got sick and none around for help it would die in no time.

Good Luck on your goats :)

19. pookshollow

They are, aren't they? :) Nothing like warm snuffly goat kisses when you're feeling low, or watching the kids put on an acrobatic performance (wall of death, goat pyramids :p ) I always say that we don't watch TV, we just go out to the barn and watch the Goat Channel.