Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time raising 2 pigs for meat. They are 2 1/2 months old now and are very lively and growing fast. i have a butcher date for them when they are 6 months old. I want to know if i should deworm them no matter what or should i just leave it alone untill something seems to come up? Will it affect meat if i do not deworm? also if i do need to deworm what is a good dewormer? i am going to be doing the garlic and pumpkin seed thing also.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
This is my first time raising 2 pigs for meat. They are 2 1/2 months old now and are very lively and growing fast. i have a butcher date for them when they are 6 months old. I want to know if i should deworm them no matter what or should i just leave it alone untill something seems to come up? Will it affect meat if i do not deworm? also if i do need to deworm what is a good dewormer? i am going to be doing the garlic and pumpkin seed thing also.
In Your case at 4 mos. of age may be enough. Unless they show signs sooner. Ivermectin1.87 % paste on a sweet roll.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am now. I used SafeGaurd, and it worked great. It may be cheaper to have a fecal done every two months. If you notice significant change in lack of weight gain, worm.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
We wormed when they stalled out gaining weight. We lost a couple weeks or so getting them back on track.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
If they're growing fast, their gums look good and pink, stools are good, coat is good then I would not deworm.

If they're thin, slow growing, rough coated, white gums then deworm or at least do a fecal to figure out if you need to deworm and then deworm appropriately.

-Walter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts