Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid to breed until spring now dont want to lose whole litters. It gets down to -30 here at times, although normally the overnight is in the negative single digits. And it is almost always very windy. My nest boxes are enclosed cat litter boxes and the NZW does are in an outdoor hutch.. which has a "hide box" but other than that no wind break. (They can all fit into the hide box) The rex does and growing popples are in the barn and its not very drafty in there. I'm working on finishing a 8x3 hutch for grow out space- it isn't done yet but when it is it will go on the lee side of the barn. Still will get weather but not as much. Is it safe to breed? If the does kindle in the middle of the night will they be able to keep them warm enough until I get out there in the morning to bring the popples in the house? Popples stay with their moms until they are 8wks. And I don't mind bringing them out to feed twice a day- its that first night I'm worried about.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I wouldn't unless you have a place to put the doe that first few days. It wouldn't have to be in the house but inside a shed would help.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
My DH cut & screwed wood into all the sides except for the front of course & the bottom has the rabbit wire with plenty of straw, also the top of the outdoor hutches have a wood top that we put rolled roofing on. Could you do someting like that? My rabbits seem to be fine outside & it's been getting pretty cold here too & lots of snow. At the end of each hutch is what I think you call a hide out box, it's a big 2 X 2 X 2 box that is attached to the rabbit hutch itself. My doe had popples in there 3 weeks ago & they have been kept warm with lots of straw & the nest the doe built. I never got the actual nest box in there before she delivered. The little popples are now starting to wander around, they are so cute! She had 6 & all 6 are still doing good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
rather than out in the wind, you COULD attempt it.

The real deal is some kind of ENCLOSED SPACE, not drafty. The absolute temp inside is relevant for extended -30 F periods, in my experience.
BUT the actual windproof nature of it all, is MORE important than the temperature. In a semi colonly setting that was wind-proof [ old pick up bed wth a tight cap on it ] these guys were as happy as could be. Their food intake was a bit higher as they relied upon their metabolism to keep them warm but thats understood.

Does singley in cages alone, would need lots of hay and wooden nest boxes at a minimum.

Nothing says you cant succeed at this, BUT providing WHAT They NEED, will probably make it possible. Less than that, and its flirting with disaster.

In Interior Alaska, there was NO WIND during the cold months, so our experience I speak of here is from that situation.

Good Luck,

DG

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I had rabbits years ago (Montana) and bred over the winter. They were outside, but the hutches had wood on the back, sides and top ... kept nest boxes in with lots and lots of straw. Never had any real problem with winter, though I usually tried to avoid does kindling in January. That seemed to be when the temperatures would get really cold if it was going to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts