should I bother?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rowenna7, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

I had it all planned out to build some raised beds, and fence off a good-sized section of the yard to start a garden for the first time here this spring. But the situation has changed...my grandmother passed away in October and I am getting a small inheritance, not a lot but enough for a downpayment that will allow the DH and I to start seriously searching for a different place to live. Right now we are on a small lot in town, we want a place out of town with space for some livestock, orchard, garden, a decent house, etc. I don't know if I should even bother trying to get a garden set up this year...if we move I don't know when it will be, too late and any work we do here will go to waste. Should I order some stuff anyways and go ahead and build my raised beds and all, or should I just wait and see what happens, whether we find a place to buy or not? I've been getting loads of gardening catalogs in the mail and this is driving me batty *LOL*

2. njmama

njmama Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I live in town have strawberries, apples, nanking cherries, elderberry, herbs galore, asparagus, raspberries, raise veggies and can every year. Start all my own herb & veggie seed. I also have a small flock of hens & rabbits. Compost. Collect water. The way I see it is it isn't a waste because I have learned so much while here. I have experience under my belt, great food on the table and in the pantry. I don't know if I will ever be able to move like I dream. I am having fun and loving gardening right here. If money is an issue fence of the garden and just do raised rows without the wood. We did it that way for years. If you move take what you can with you. If you think you will move this spring container garden so it can go with you.

Have you seen www.pathtofreedom.com ? Now that is urban homesteading!

Go for it! It's addicting!
    :dance:

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I would garden on the cheap, and skip the raised beds.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

So sorry about your grandmother. If you guys are seriously househunting, why not just stick to container gardening?

5. Ivy DragonWind

Ivy DragonWind Well-Known Member

I would do something small but effective for now. Downsize your plans a bit, but still do something. It might increase your home value a bit to put some standard beds in, but nothing too extensive or it will scare those who dont garden. Plan your garden in preparation for the move. Dont put in anything that lives beyond a yr if you know you are going to have to move it, or be okay with leaving it behind. You could always just have a few pieces in containters, as well, and you could take 'em with you! Cherry tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries all do well potted, and even some fruit trees do!

6. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm thinking maybe along the lines of a small container garden. It seems to be the only viable option for us for now anyways, as a regular garden with beds of any kind, raised or otherwise, would need some extensive fencing, I'm not sure that it would be worth the trouble if we're just going to pick up and leave anyways. The fencing would be an absolute must because otherwise our dogs would be into it and have it destroyed before it could even get established. I don't have much of anything in the way of containers...will have to check on freecycle to see if anyone has some they'd like to get rid of! :)