Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3 pigs, about 5 months old, who don't seem to be growing as much as they should/I imagine they should. I can't actually tell you how big they are, because they won't consent to being measured. They go through 2 4-gallon (white square) plastic buckets of (15% organic grower) feed per day. I supplement this with scraps and wine pressings, but mainly, they get feed. Sometimes I let them clean out their trough thoroughly -- don't want them to get too complacent -- but mostly, there is always something in there for them to munch on.

Should I be feeding them more? I'm still working through my second half-tonnes bale of feed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, they could be bigger than you think. I find it really hard to determine the weight on hogs. You might try taping them when you put slop in for them to eat. Our hogs always cooperate if they had goodies in front of them! Not sure on the feed, because we fill a self feeder so they have feed at all times. I would say you are doing ok since they are not eating all of the food. I would probably up it if they are cleaning out trough and still looking for more food. I'm no expert though, we've only been raising them a couple of seasons now. Good luck with your hogs.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If they are not licking the trough clean then they have all they want to eat. Feed consumption should go up over the next 30 days noticably. They can really pack it away as they get bigger.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Post a pic of the hogs. Then I will give you an opinion based on experience.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here they are. The brown one and the black one are 3/4 Berk and 1/4 Duroc, and the white one is 3/4 Berk and 1/4 white pig of some sort. That is a regular cast iron bath tub they are using for a trough and the roof on their hut is a pickup bedliner -- about 6ft, I think.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
They look great to me. The Berkshire breed impact can be seen in the length of the pigs. The white pig is Yorkshire cross from the color and the shape of the ears. I think these pigs are larger than you realize. I am comparing them to the bath tub and it would take a good size pig to be able to stand over the side. When processed the duroc influenced pig would be my selection as it will IMO be the leanest of the three and will have the largest loin eye, the black pig the fattest.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
We have found that our pigs with the highest percentage of Berkshire blood grow the slowest. They make great pork, just grow a bit slower than the Hamps and Yorks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That is about the same as I feed mine and mine are doing well. I also give them hay in the morning, what they don't eat they add to their bed.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting article on deworming with natural substances. We've been thinking about "pre-garlic-ing" the hogs before butchering just to flavour the meat anyway. They're not talking very much for a dose, either: "We have not done enough tests to find what the dosage should be but a pound of dry garlic powder is enough for a month to keep a heard of pigs (52 at the time), pack of large guardian dogs, cats and sheep (6) all worm free after killing all the obvious worms that were present before the tests."

Thanks so much for the suggestion and thank you all for your encouraging comments on the pigs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Garlic method did not work all that well for me - I wrapped whole garlic cloves in slices of cheese - the pigs ate the cheese and then spit out the whole garlic cloves. I have used commercial wormer, but I have been using the garlic powder method that Walter suggested and that seems to be the best one by far for our pigs.

Our boar had worms and did not grow at the same rate as our gilt. Once the worms were elimanated he started growing again.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I'm not surprised they spat out the cloves. When I was doing experiments with this years ago I found the cloves to be highly unpalatable myself. Garlic powder in butter on bread is my best way for myself. For the pigs, dogs, cats, etc I mix in the garlic powder in gradually larger amounts over time to acclimate them to the taste. Whole cloves are pretty tough to take! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading recently that powdered tobacco is the main ingredient used in many commercial de-worming meds and that snuff used worked best > It also said that you need to pen animal and watch over the because after about an hour an incredible amount of worms would be lost then dump kerosene or spent oil on the worms lost to kill them. Real inexpensive and the animals seem to like it. Let me know if you know different am always willing to learn!!
:grit:

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally was able to get a string around a couple of these guys -- not the same one, but I figure it all averages out: 51 girth, 44 length. Which calculates out to 286 lbs. Probably less. It was hard because they kept wanting to floss their teeth with the baling twine I was using for a measure... Close enough. I'm done with these guys! :banana02: They keep destroying their hut and won't let me keep a roof over them. Next time I'm going to already have a metal quonset hut for them.

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
LOL Snoozy!

I'm not really sure HOW much bigger they could be!!!

Look at their butts. Round. Look at the shoulders. Broad and "flat" across.

If they were slab-sided or back-roached, I'd say you have feeding problems. Or standing hunched up.

Pigs EAT. It's what they do. They'll knock you down for food. THAT'S why you feed across a fence. And DON'T fall down in the pigpen. Chickens will learn to stay OUT of there too. They are pig food if your pig has a mind to...

IF you still want more "free" feeding? Give them hay they way WalterJ does with his hogs or I do my PBPigs. Free choice. They'll eat until they can't and it will cut down on commercial feed too...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts