Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have a 3 month old buckling. He has been dewormed with ivermectin and has had his CD&T, I have also given him nutri-drench. He appears healthy, except when we move him from his pen to his stall at night, his little belly looks like a balloon. It is the same on both sides equally. Usually by morning it has gone down to normal. I was a little concerned today when I let him out it hadn't gone down that much. It didn't seem to bother him and he wanted to get out and eat. I let him out for a little while, then put him back in his stall for a few hours. I also gave him baking soda (he gets it often anyway) and some Gas-X, it looked to me like he went down pretty quick, so I let him back out. After 2 hours he was huge again. (He grazes non-stop) I put him back in his stall again. His daddy did the same thing and it wasn't a problem for him, I just don't like the way he looks. Otherwise, he appears normal. What do you think....Is there a potential problem?

2. Antoinette

Antoinette Active Member

Sounds to me, that he is just developing a nice rumen. I have bucks that look just as pregnant as my almost due does. If he is acting normal, I wouldn't worry that much about it. If they bloat, in my experience, you can usually tell, as they act as if they are in great pain (which they are). Hope that helps.

3. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I think he is just eating a lot really fast and maybe isn't stopping before his tummy gets to big. Mine do the same thing because we bottle feed them. They gorge themselves and are completely svelt again in the morning ready to gorge again. I wouldn't worry unless he starts with loose stools or is really in pain. Hope this helps.

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Thanks, that makes me feel better. He just looks like he swallowed a watermelon sideways. But he does not appear in distress. He was bottlefed and eats non-stop while grazing. The others don't do that, but like I said, his daddy did exactly the same thing.