Should hunters be required to pass a test before getting their license?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Dec 25, 2004.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Yes, an eyesight test to make sure they can not only distinguish wildlife from livestock, but also can make out the "No Trespassing" signs. Maybe that requires a reading comprehension test also.

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Amen on the reading test. Perhaps each should be required to take an eight-hour class in how to read and understand no tresspassing signs. Might take that long for it to sink in on some.

Ken Scharabok

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ken some people would be in that class forever! even with classes people are gona get hurt but the need to educate even a few is worth the trouble.often thought that to buy a chain saw should need a license. after getting a gun at an early age and being taught respect of fire arms and how to safley fire a weapon by a army major i would probably learn some in a class. when hunting season comes we all stay outa the bush just not worth the hassel of running into city idiots.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

It is already that way here in NY but it hasn't improved anything to my knowledge. You take a course (I think about 8 hrs) and then have to pass a test at the end. I took it about 5 years ago and they do cover all this stuff - don't trespass, get permission to hunt, make sure of what you are shooting at as well as what might be on the other side, gun safety, etc, etc. It is a lovely idea but it still doesn't mean people practice what they are taught.

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has some sort of Hunter Education program on the books. I believe all hunters under 16 must pass the class in order to purchase a hunting license. The hope is that eventually every hunter in Wisconsin will have taken the course.

Even with such things in force, tragedies will happen.

I remember about 10 years ago, in nearby Land O Lakes, WI, some moron hunter shot (& killed) a horse while a 12 year old girl was riding it. He was trepassing on their land at the time. The girl was uninjured, but wow--what a scare she must have had.
    The moron got sent to jail for 9 months to ponder over the error of his ways.

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Met someone the other day who was studying for the IQ test. He had a valid hunting license......

7. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I doubt classes or testing would help much around here. The majority of problems here are poachers. They hear a noise in the bush and they shoot, not knowing what they're even shooting at. There's been a few people killed while relieving themselves in the bushes, one of which lately was a young gal out camping with friends. Shot in the head for using a bush...

Not much in the way of legislation is going to be able to cure moronism. Responsible hunters are usually not the problem, and those are the ones that have to pay the ultimate price for all of the idiots out there.

Bob

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................What , all hunters should have to do , is PASS a written test on the Law(s) concerning owner rights , tres pass law , and the Penalties for Violating the laws . Then , Anybody that is caught trespassing will have their fines Tripled , IF they haven't Taken the Class on Property rights and Responsibilities . fordy... :)

9. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Ks, anyone born after 1955 ( I think that is the year...) has to take a 10 hour Hunter Safety course and pass the test. With out it, you cannot purchase a liscense or your hunter permits. Unfortunately, I myself can name several people who do not buy any of those things and still hunt.... I am sorry.... I mean poach.
    Those are the people that cause the majority of the problems.
    Tana Mc

10. Yep, they have a test here in Oklahoma also. You have to attend a 10 hour class and then pass a test at the end. It covers all subjects of hunting from tresspassing laws to identifying animals. You must pass this test before you can recieve your hunting permit.

The story did not state how old the hunter is. A lot of times you have young brats that just want to kill something. I know of a couple of young boys who shot someones goat. They both knew it was a goat when they shot it, they just wanted to see if they could get away with it. Which they did not! They had to pay for the goat and was fined $500. each by the game department.

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

While I doubt some could ever be educated and will shoot anything with four legs, Kansas is also one of the states trying to educate hunters.

My brother was a wildlife officer for 38 years before retiring. He has taught hunter education classes for a long time, and last year he remarked that he has even taught the sons and daughters of those that attended the first classes.

One thing that I enjoy reading about, and it surprises me, is the number of girls that turkey hunt, deer hunt, etc. The local newspaper often writes up such stories of first time girl/father experiences. Also popular Kansas classes put on by the Wildlife and Parks Dept. are classes for adult women. They are fully booked each time. They not only teach firearms, but archery and I think fishing as well.

12. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Michigan requires anyone born after 1963 must pass a hunter safety class before buying a license. I guess thier thinking must be if you havent killed yourself or someone else in that many years of hunting you must know what your doing. Classes are taught by licensed shooting instrucors and the local Barny Fife. Lotta good that does. The cops around here spend most of thier nights shining farm fields for deer.

13. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Reminded me of news from around here. One of the local cops was busted for shooting one of those fake deer set out by the game wardens. You know the kind, with the remote controlled head and tail movements. He was in his patrol car at the time. Needless to say he's not a cop anymore.

Bob

14. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I remember years ago we always had a few fatalities- but when they brought in the mandatory hunter education course, consisting of game identification, game laws,gun handling, etc, the hunting accidents declined by 90%-and have remained negligable.Today you need to pass a course just to get a firearms aquisition licence, then another course for a hunting licence.

15. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Licensing hunters would be about as effective a drivers' license training is for drivers.

How many deaths and injuries each year by drivers, and all have been schooled in driving?

It is up to the individual, not the training?

Wish the solution were a simple one.

16. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got stupid people around here riding Horses through thick brush durring Firearms Deer Season,even though it is posted No Horse Back Riding.No Hunters Orange.

Here few years ago I was Deer hunting,seen brown and white come up through the brush.It was neighbor kid Brown Jacket,carrying a White Milk Jug.Told him to get some Hunters Orange.His Dad told me off,dang idiot. :rolleyes:

So it is not just hunters.

big rockpile

18. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    If a hunter can't tell the difference between a deer and any other four-legged plant eating animal, they shouldn't be out hunting. If someone can't tell livestock from a game animal, they shouldn't be out hunting.

As for hunter orange, I have found that it is only effective out to 50 yards or less, even on a bright sunny day. The timber it too thick to see enough of it beyond that distance, but out in the open, yes, it is a great thing. I am just careful when I am out and am alert for the morons.

However, it is just as important for landowners to be careful during hunting seasons. If they can wear blaze orange if they have to be out with the animals or on horseback or tractor, it is helpful. Besides, it does help you find someone if they are lost or hurt for some reason.

19. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

reluctantpatriot said:

If you can't see the hunter orange why would anyone shoot at you?

50 yards is shotgun range. If they cannot see any movement why would anyone shoot at you?

Guess I just don't understand your post.