Should a tractor rock in park?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jena, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

When I put my JD4430 in park, 90% of the time it sits there and rocks. It's like it is pushing itself against whatever locking mechanism works for park (it is also in neutral), almost like it's still in gear. This is only when the engine is still running, of course. It will do this even when I stop, hold the brakes, shift it to neutral/park, then let up on the brakes. Sometimes when I let up the brakes, it sits solid as can be. It does it more on flat surfaces than hills.

This makes me really nervous and I'm in the habit of sitting there a minute to make sure it is going to stay put before I dismount. I asked my husband about it and he just shrugged it off. Of course, two years ago he had to jump from this same tractor when he lost all sytems because he kept ignoring something wrong with it (it rolled to a stop 50 feet short of the creek).

Is this normal or some kind of malfunction I should get fixed?

Jena

2. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing but it is because the tires are loaded or full of water for traction so after I get the water spinning inside the tires it rocks the tractor for a little bit one winter I left it out in the snow without any antifreeze in them and it froze so when I took off in road gear the back of the tractor was almost coming off the ground! If you say it only does it when it is running then it has to be something else like the clutch not disengaging completly

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It's been a long time since I drove a 4430, in fact it was only a few years old at the time. It never rocked in park, but I wonder if Tractorman hasn't got a point about the calcium. When it happens does it settle out eventually or keep going? Does the engine labour even a little bit while its rocking? My Ford 6600 does this intermitant rocking thing like yours and as it is a standard tranny in neutral I am pretty sure it is the calcium. Just yours is a powershift so the potential for trouble is there.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ah-ha! I never thought about the liquid in the tires making it do that, but it makes sense!

Thanks

Jena

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena, Let it coast to a stop without using the brakes and see if it still does it. The fluid shouldn't be slopping back and forth if you let it stop on it's own. I drove my neighbors 4430 a couple planting seasons, and I didn't experience anything other than the fluid slop.
    That was the nicest, best handling tractor I ever ran. About the newest one also. The newest tractor I have is a 560 IH and they are showing up in the antique tractor shows.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My favorite tractor is the 4020...when the weather is right. There's no cab, but it fits me. The 4430 always feels more top-heavy and I can't go more than C-2 because the seat adjustment doesn't work and I hit the ceiling on the bumps.

We also have a 7400 which is really nice (the AC works really well), but it stays over at my husband's farm most of the time :/ It's a 93 and the newest one we have. The 4020 is older than I am and the 4430 is from the 70's (I think).

Jena