short cycling pump update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stirfamily, Jan 10, 2005.

1. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

For all of you who were kind enough to give advice on our well pump thought I'd let you know what happened. Turns out the bladder was almost totally empty of air. Was pumped back up to it's original PSI and everything works like new. Now we know it probably has a leak so the tank will need to be replaced but have decided to keep an eye on it just to see how fast it does leak. But now that we see how it's supposed to really work, we realized the darn thing hasn't really worked right the whole 7 years we've been here!
    Karen in NE Indiana

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.......................Great! Now , atleast now you understand how your system is supposed to function . You should beable to replace your own pressure tank without having to pay a plumber . I have a 100 gallon p.tank on my system and a NEW replacement was about 300 or so . Much better to have to budget for a p.tank than a new pump and motor , fordy.. :)

3. kermeg

kermeg Active Member

Buy a good auto tire valve (about $4.00) and a valve removal tool. Turn off pump and drain off water pressure, then let out air in the bladder through the valve stem. Unscrew the valve using the removal tool. Examine the old valve (probably has very slight wear marks, causing leak). Replace with new valve and repressurize. I have to do this about every two years with one of my tanks.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

If it's one of them blue bladder tanks they will blow out when they lose their charge and you will never know it. You may only be charging the area above the water because the bladders shot. f you have a faucet that doesn't work quite right it's possible an piece of the blur bladder may be caught in it. Seen that several times and think I have the problem now with my laundry tub.

mikell

5. kermeg

kermeg Active Member

Put air into the bladder with the water still off and drained and a faucet open. if the pressure does not buildup then the bladder is shot (it can take a while for the pressure to build, do not go past the proper pressure marked on the tank) . If it does build up you should be good with the new valve.