Shoretning tusks?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by birdie_poo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Our pet boar, Ham Solo, is a few years old. His tusks are about 4-5" long, and they are starting to turn up. Someone told me you can shorten them. Is this true, and how would you do it?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Birdie,
    You can shorten them but to be honest I don't know how you would go about it and I have some memory that you can only go so far back on the tusk. I don't know that I would want to have my hands that close to the mouth of a restrained and therefore not very happy boar. :no:

I leave the tusks on my boars and have never had any trouble, in fact they often lose them and I'll find them in the paddock. Do you have a good vet? Perhaps have a yarn to them and see what they suggest or maybe somebody else on the site has some ideas.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

use bolt cutters ,and make sure he is restained as in a cage or a hog trap 2 do the job, they used 2 sell wild hogs at the local sale cutting tusks this way. they also cut the boars at the same time, i think you want 2 keep yours a boar though.

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Errr :eek: , it looks like Ham will keep his tusks and his little fellas...I certainly don't want to be on his bad side. He is a pet, so I'd rather him want a belly scratchin not to bite my butt!!!

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what kind of pig you have, but I have a PB pig with nice tusks. When I take him in to the vet (not very often I'll tell you that) the vet keeps trying to get me to let him cut his tusks back. So apparently it can be done. He says it's dangerous for my other animals to have this pig running around with tusks. I think he's actually only 1/2 PB pig because he's rather large and his snout is a little pointier than I've ever seen on a PB. But I always tell the vet no. I think they look quite nice and he's never used them on any of the dogs or people.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The vet has a grinder that is powered by a Dremel motor thru a cable drive that is attached to a carbide grinding tip that is pressure flooded with water to avoid excessive heat as this device cuts down the tusk.