Shopsmith

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by keithil53, Oct 22, 2004.

1. keithil53

keithil53 Member

Does anyone have a SHOPSMITH (wood working group)?If so do you recommend it? If so,how much would a used one in good condition be worth?I saw a demonstration a few years ago but didn't buy at that time.
    Keith

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have the 1949 model, only use it in the drill press position, too much hassel to keep changing the set up to be practical unless you are retired and need a time filler or are makeing many exactly alike items.

3. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

moopup is right - excellent equipment - pain in the butt to use - now, if you could afford a half-dozen of them and leave them set up as dedicated units you'd have it made -

4. New USer

New USer Guest

As these guys said, the setup gets tiring, but the machine does just about everything. I too have the 1949 (10ER) model and I overcome the set up problem by buying three of them. Look on ebay. The 10ER's are about $200. The modern Mark V is about $500 if you shop around. They can't be beat. American made great stuff. Shopsmith, Inc. still makes every part for the Mark V. The 10ER is cast iron so nothing ever breaks and parts are always available on ebay. This is one fantastic machine for the beginning woodworker. Just beware that this is no substitute for a heavy cabinet saw, so you'll struggle with thick material or large things like door making. Otherwise, you woun't find a better designed or made American machine!