shopping for digital slr

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wyld thang, Jan 13, 2007.

1. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I am looking for a digital slr camera, about low to med price range. Was wondering what you had if you have one, what lenses you have, how easy it was to learn, or whatever you want to share. Thanks

2. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

We just bought our digital SLR two weeks ago, "replacing" a 25 yr old Cannon 35mm that we love. We went with the Nikon D50 (soon to be taken off the market). We liked the Nikon's feel in our hands, everything just seemes in the right place. Some of the cameras we tried didn't fit our hands right. We found Best Buy to be a great place to "feel" them out, but thier prices were high. The D50 as it takes regular AF lenses, the D40 takes the new AFS. The D50 was $200 cheaper then Best Buy at the camera shop down the street and in the mall. And at the camera shop we got the lens we wanted (not the one that cames in the kit) for that $200 less price.

I suggest going to the library and picking up some of the 2006 issues of Polular Photography. There were alot of new cameras that came out last year, and the reviews on them helped us out.

Enjoy the hunt!

3. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

We have a Nikon D70. My husband had nikon glass. It is an amazing camera and the customer service has been great.

We will be getting a new one to add to our collection. The D40 is entry level, the D80 is mid level and it goes up from there.

Jill

4. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

You can read the www.dpreview.com forums for Nikon's. They will give you lots of info.

Jill