Shooting--venting.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BeeFree, Nov 8, 2005.

1. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I was on my 4 wheeler riding around my 160 ac when I could hear shooting. I would go a way and shut down the engine and listen. I finally figured out where it was coming from. There is a subdivision built at the very back side of our property. At the corner of our place and the subdivision and the other peoples 30 ac was where the shooting was. I was riding along figureing they would hear the engine. I got closer and saw the dirt and bullet whiz ahead of me. I shut down the engine and started yelling. No one answered. I waited and they fired again. I waited and then saw guys going out to where the bullets were supposed to be hitting.

I started up and rode closer and shut the engine off. I said excuse me but there is someone out here and those bullets are coming across onto our property. The guy said smartly, well they are not, that is why I had this pit dug here. I said I saw the dirt fly and the bullet whiz. Anyway, and short argument later, he said well they are hitting the dirt. I said well what if one doesn't. He said Lady don't start with me. I said well maybe you need to turn it around onto your property to where it isn't coming across on to mine. He said I am on my property. I said I am too, Perhaps you need to get more property. I said I am trying to ride on mine. He said well go on and ride. Which I did, thinking any time, they would shoot again as I rode on along my fence.

Now they have a lot in this subdivision. They have this pit of dirt at the back of the lot, at the corner of my property and corner of the 30 ac of another guy. They are shooting towards our wooded areas. I know for a fact that the pits does not all ways catch the bullets.

I told my DH and asked if he wanted to go throw me a pit up on my property to where I would be shooting toward their house and see how they like it. If I insist he will take his back hoe and make me one. I just wonder how they would like that one.

I know next time I will have my sks with me. DH had my pistol yesterday and was about a quarter mile from me when all this was happening. I had taken my camera with me to take some pics. Will have my phone and gun next time. Not safe on my own property.
    :soap:

2. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

A subdivision that allows shooting? That's unusual. We are rebuilding the berms (sp) at our gun club right now as there is development all around. And bullets do ricochet, we are very particular how targets are set and the trajectory of the shooting. (pardon my spelling - its late and I just finished throwing landscaping stone at said club)

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Please stop and think your response through. What if your bullets don't go exactly as intended and hit someone?

4. BeeFree

I know my bullets don't always go in the pit.

I also know theirs doesn't either.

I just suggested a pit built to let them see how it feels. You know they wouldn't like the bullets going toward their house.

I will take my gun for protection from now on.

As for this subdivision, it is out of town and apparently has no rules whatever.

The guy got really smart with me, and I guess that is what really ticked me off.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

maybe you should see if the subdevision is deed restricted...
    try reporting the inccident to the local cops...

I had a kid shooting behind my house into a hill and I heard waht i thought was humming birds... til one plinked off my house.
    I called the cops... they took a look and tell me, it is verboden to target shoot in the general direction of homes or livestock, or onto someone elses property if they object...
    and the kid moved his backstop..

the cops are usefull.... try it.

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

maybe you should see if the subdevision is deed restricted...

Wouldn't help.....the owner of the 160 ac parcel would have no standing to get the restrictions enforced......one of the other owners of a piece in the subdivision would....and even then, it would involve going to court to force it. I've found restrictions are only worth what you are willing to spend to get them enforced.

Cops 'might' be a better choice......or not.....depends on you locality.

Even better choice might be to remain calm ( hard to do I fully admit ), and maybe work with the knuckleheads.....if you have access to a backhoe, maybe you could help them improve their berm/backstop....even to the point of WHERE it points.

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

most states have a law about shooting within a certain proximity to public roads and inhabited homes. You can actually shoot in your own yard and still be charged because your too close to your own house. check the regs in your area.

8. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

WHO WAS USING THAT LAND FIRST? YOU OR THE SHOOTER?

I see so many people that buy houses in proximity to ranges try to get the ranges (be it public or private) closed down, and I honestly, truly, HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!

9. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

Yes! You should see how they are squashing homes in around this gun club. There is no way I would purchase property so close. This area has developed quite rapidly over the last several years. The club is grandfathered in and as long as we adhere to some reasonable shooting hours, they can't do anything about the noise. Ricocheting bullets would be another story. Even the distance for shot fall is really quite amazing.

10. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

I would call the local Sheriff.

Maybe you could get some large round bales of old hay and place them on your property in line with their pit. That should stop any bullets....hopefully.

11. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

well you know it isn't really nice but i have carried a few blanks with me for that kinda deal. but now i don't seem to have a problem since i started shooting my blackpowder rifle in my backpasture

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup...found this out firsthand when I called the Sheriff's Dept. because some teenagers were standing on the road and shooting onto my property. They were breaking more than one law!

You need to contact your Sheriff's Dept. and find out what the laws are about this. I have a feeling the little "shooting club" will be shut down ASAP.

13. BeeFree

I had my property before the subdivision. When we fenced there were no houses on the back side of our property. A guy who owned that land decided he could make a killing dividing it into lots. He built a road on the other side of the lots, [in front of the houses] and then he had a new home built in the middle of his remaining land, with a fence around it. He got his money, but is away from the main part of the subdivision. So am I unless I am riding around my property.

Oh well, we will see how deer season goes, starting Sat. I hunt back there. Hopefully that guy will go to the deep woods otherwise known as Forest Service Land.

It is against the law to shoot across a road or from a road. I am going to have to find out more about the other laws pertaining to shooting.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is MS it is also against the law to shoot onto someone's property without permission.

15. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    I don't know what your county sheriff office is like where you are, but here when I was having problems similar to yours, I was informed that nothing could be done as there wasn't an ordinance against it. I found it interesting that the problem neighbors could fire 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and even have bullets and shot land on the roof of another neighbor's house, yet nothing could be done about them.

If fired upon you are within your rights to fire back in self-defense. Just because they have a berm doesn't mean they can be stupid about shooting. If a stray bullet hits you, your loved ones or your house it doesn't matter that there was a berm, as that bullet still caused damage off of their property. As a firearms owner I have to be careful where I shoot so that I don't send a bullet into something far downrange.

Perhaps a about 50 rounds of 12 gauge blanks might work near their property line, pretending to be patterning your shotgun. That way you can make the point with noise but not hurt your shoulder as much with recoil.

I would recommend that you have a firearm to protect yourself with while out, and also wear hunter orange as much as possible so you show up. In my timber an ATV doesn't sound close until almost on top of me, but hunter orange will show up farther, most of the time, than the sound. Gives them a heads up at least and might keep you from being an unwilling target.