Shooting in Vegas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by painterswife, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There are no taller buildings within about 1000 yards, and a counter-sniper on the ground wouldn't have a good angle for a shot without being directly in the line of fire himself.

Even with thousands of "observers" after the shooting started, there was a lot of confusion as to where the shots were coming from. In the dark a broken window in an unlit room might not be obvious at all.

Also, there were officers outside his door within 12 minutes of the first shots, and no more shots were fired outside after that time.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

This is what the shooter could see from one window in the hotel:
    [​IMG]

+76
    Above, the view from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel, in an updated photo. The concert was taking place diagonally across the street, where the stage is seen, with its green roof.

I believe the exit for the area is in the corner closest to the hotel.
    Since the Sphinx is visible in this photo, I believe this is the broken window on the shooters left

[​IMG]

+76

The other window would give a view of the airport and main street approaching the hotel, and a different angle on the concert venue.

3. DianeWV

DianeWV Well-Known Member

Now it is being reported that the hotel security guard that was shot by the shooter was actually shot 6 minutes BEFORE the shooter began firing on the crowd. Original timeline and events shot to hell.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

It's interesting that youtube removed this video. All it showed was how to turn your AR into a rapid fire (bump fire) weapon using a rubber band.

5. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

You can use a belt loop too!

6. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

So discuss what Chicago should do to lower its murder rate if you want.

7. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

*In June 2015, there were only 48 weapons convictions in the northern district of Illinois, which includes Rockford and Chicago.
    Typical weapon convictions include time served, supervision, home confinement, a fine or no jail time whatsoever. Chicago has one of the lowest felony gun crime conviction rates in the nation. Sentencing is weak. There is no death penalty.
    During the same month, there were 51 homicides and 244 people wounded.
    There are approx 100,000 gang members in Chicago.
    About 80 percent of those charged with gun crimes in 2016 pleaded guilty, with the remainder of the cases going to trial. Only about 30 percent of the defendants whose cases were decided by a judge in a bench trial were convicted, while juries convicted about 42 percent of the gun crime suspects whose cases were brought before them.
    The number of people lawfully possessing firearms that are breaking the law is miniscule in comparison.
    Chicago has had the same political party hold power since 1931.
    Statistically, a US soldier was safer in Afghanistan than Chicago.

A starting point-
    Recognition. Call it what it is. This isn't a gun problem, it is a gang problem. It is a social issue treated as a political issue.
    Elect judges that will start giving out maximum sentencing for straw purchases, felons with guns, repeat gun offenders, gun trafficking.
    Enforce current laws, starting on the street and ending in the courtroom.
    Chicago loves social programs. Start focusing on ones promoting family stability, structure and early involvement in after school programs that work, and eliminate the ones that don't.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-foxx-gun-convictions-met-20170725-story.html
    http://heyjackass.com/category/2015-chicago-crime-murder-stats/
    http://www.netadvisor.org/2015/08/1...ns-weak-on-criminal-prosecution/#.Wd8a2mhSyUk

Twp.Tom, no really and mnn2501 like this.
  8. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

As the fear of God diminishes, expect more and more of this. This shooter obviously hoped for a permanent demise upon his suicide. And you can call this a religious post, but it only makes sense. When you expect no consequences, you place fewer limitations on your own behavior - ask any child.

mnn2501 and GTX63 like this.
  9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Death is a consequence. Jail is a consequence. Burning in a hell has never been a good enough consequence. History proves that.

10. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

That's because "burning in hell" is not a 'just' punishment and most people don't believe in it, including many Christians. Not all Churches doctrines teach that either.

11. painterswife

:) It is what my grandmother use to write in her letters to me because I was a bartender in my youth.

12. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

I'm not saying its not believed or taught, but would a "just" God punish you forever for losing at a "game" (life) that is stacked against you? To me its one of the worst things that a Church (the RCC Church in the middle ages) ever pushed on people

13. painterswife

I agree with you. I was just responding to the person that thinks a god's consequences make a difference to people that want to do bad things.

14. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Well, I think religion can make a difference (both positive and also negative) in peoples lives, however fear of eternal punishment is not a motivating factor (to all but a very small minority), and if a person is mentally ill, its not going to help either.
    In the Vegas shooters case we still don't know his motivation so everything we say currently is only speculation.

15. painterswife

Yes, it can. I just think always using the lack of it as an excuse for the ills of the world is disingenuous. Some of the most important people in my life are religious.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't think you can legislate a change in heart.

17. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

An advanced civilization is much more reliant on the decency of its citizens for its survival than it is the force of its laws.
    The more laws required to "maintain order" the more deeply that nation slides.

Here is an uncomfortable fact: people who have motives that are insane may be quite rational in their methods; they may in fact be quite ingenious in them. It is ignorance with a little arrogance to assume that people who seem so illogical in their motives cannot outwit well-intentioned regulation, and the advice of “experts.
    The insane and the mentally ill can be calculating, methodical, devious, patient, organized, focused, manipulative and quite adept at achieving their goals.
    What forms us and causes us to make good moral choices is for another day, but continuing to believe in the inherent goodness of man exposes one obvious difference between most of us and evil; evil isn't gullible.

18. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Mandalay Bay hotel has long been considered the best place to view the comings & goings of "Janets," the fleet of mostly 737s used to transport personnel to and from Las Vegas and Area 51 (Groom Lake) & Tonopah Test Range, because the "Janet terminal" is easily visible across Las Vegas Blvd from the hotel.

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/janet_terminal.html

While I find a secret airline interesting, I don't find it interesting enough to devote my life to it like a few I've met.

19. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Chicago can do things without legislating it.