Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools are required for shooting simple elevations? I just want to be able to transfer an existing elevation to other points for footer work? Anyone have experience in this area? I'm sure it will concern some type of transit but I need to know what to look for so I can find a used one. Think "cheap" when suggesting tools. lol

I have a water level but it's only 30ft long. It is good for my own use but others probably wont be satisfied with it and it wont work in every situation.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,647 Posts
You can also rent those tools if you dont foresee a future use for it

·
Registered
203 Posts
what situations would a water tube/hose not work?

Dahc said:
I have a water level but it's only 30ft long. It is good for my own use but others probably wont be satisfied with it and it wont work in every situation.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
As a self-employed licensed surveyor, yes, I have transferred elevations many times.

An inexpensive builder's transit would do the job if you are very careful when levelling the instrument and if you repeat each view with a 'plunged telescope', in other words flop the telescope thru the vertical axis 180 degrees and look again.

A self-levelling auto-level is easier to use than a transit, might cost a little more.

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leecofarm said:
what situations would a water tube/hose not work?
Distances longer than the level itself and areas where there are obstructions like concrete block walls between the points that are higher than your stakes... etc... A water level could be used in the second situation but it seems like it would be more time consuming if it were a long wall. Maybe I'm not thinking on it right. Not sure.

I just remembered that I have a bronze laser level around here somewhere and it has a screw hole for a tripod. It's just a basic 12" level but it is very good quality, not the plastic stuff they sell today. I need to find it and try and find a matching tripod for it I think. If I'm not misunderstanding, I could use this right? Provided I had a line of sight? Is there a reason why this wouldn't be a good choice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts