Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31,223 Posts
I have a friend with an 11 year old son. We have a shooting group and as one would expect, my friend wants to teach his son to shoot and to respect guns.

The kid scares me to death. A millisecond later can reap carnage.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I wounder how much the instructer told/taught the child beforehand. I clearly remember as a young child, I had learned to shoot on my Dads 22. One day at the range he handed me a shotgun, because he always shot clay pidgons . He never mentioned the kick and I did not have the butt upagainst me properly. My memorie of that lasted much longer than the bruise. Some "teachers" take too much for granted.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I think young adults should be taught good gun safety and how to shoot a gun.
But why a 9 year old needs to learn how to shoot an automatic weapon is beyond me.
It's kind of interesting that you have to be 15 years old to learn to drive, but there is no age limit with guns. Even the game commission, trying to get more people interested in hunting has the mentored youth program where any child under 12 - can hunt with an adult and shoot. No age limit is given that I can see - just "Under 12". So I guess that means that any hunting Dad can take their 5 year old out to hunt and let the 5 year old shoot the gun to harvest whatever animal they are hunting.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I can very well see a small revolver in the hands of a child that size......

But a Uzi . . .????????????????????????

How many kids have gone on to become excellent marksmen after *starting* with a single shot 22 . . . . . . . . . .NOT the likes of an Uzi............

Fatal Instructor Error.....
Something with a longer barrel like an AR-15 and he would probably be alive....

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Stupid, stupid. Very tragic, but why on earth would that instructor let a 9 year old handle an uzi? It sounded like he said "fully auto" right before that video ended. It's a shame that poor girl will have to deal with the repercussions from an instructor who made a very poor choice.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with teaching kids proper handling of weapons, but there's a HUGE difference in a .22 and an uzi.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So sad.

A failure in good judgment by a well meaning instructor and two lives forever changed, one ended, one that will never be the same again.

What in the world was that man thinking anyway?

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
It was preventable, lots of deaths are but as is that it was not a planned event it was an accident. Just think of all the ways there are that people die. Stairs,tubs, sports, bikes house fires as many time people have died useing and misusing those things yet a gun is one more way were people die accidentally but it is demonized. Death by a gun accident is still a death, the person dead is no deader than any other form.

Choices have consequences some are harsher than others and more permanent.

Education of the facts and common sense needs to play a bigger role in everyone's life. lossing life is is a high price to pay so is freedom.

Part of the reason gun death accidents make the news and linger is it serves a greater good to push the agenda to demonize guns.

Rationally death by any accident could have been prevented can be a learning event. I know of a few children from outdoor hunting families who hunt for big game that have had children that young fully capable to Handel guns that I person do not care to touch do to my lack of skill but dang it is amazing to see the results of any child succeed at a young age skills beyond expected.

I wish that schools still offered gun safety classes that they had when I was in school. I was not interested then but it is a tool that does require training in proper use.

So let the anti gun folk play innocent careing concerned people and again try to remove freedoms and guns verses preaching education and training. Heck, every sexual position iand birth control is taught in school cause we want a safe and health kids...... why not teach gun safety. Death by aids and other sexually transmitted diseases push sex ed why not this child's death push gun safety in schools.

·
Unapologetically me
20,935 Posts
Why would you teach a 9 year old to shoot a full auto?
Grown men have trouble keeping them from moving around, and the chance she needs to know how to shoot an automatic is pretty slim.
Seems like poor judgement to me

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Sorry, but this was stupid on many levels. The girls dad was stupid for wanting her to fire an Uzi. The instructor was even worse then stupid for agreeing.

There are no such things as gun accidents, only carelessness. This should have never happened.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
very sad. just saw this online. i'm a big 2nd amendment supporter. i'm sure this will be used politically to push for more gun/ammo control unfortunately. i feel bad for the kid. it was not her responsibility to ensure safety. there was at least two other people there, instructor and camera man.

my kids are all learning to shoot. started when they were about this girls age. some are better than others. but, they each have to earn their way to try "the next firearm". i have teenagers that i still don't even allow to use handguns, just because the barrel is so much shorter, i'm not comfortable with the margin for error if they swing it around. they also do not shoot unless one of the guys is literally right there with them. proficiency, and repetition to build good habits are the only way to go, in my opinion.

obviously, no one meant for this to happen. unfortunately, though, i think the fault really lies with the adults who used poor judgement in letting this girl use an uzi (full auto or not). just the body language in the video makes me think this kid had no idea what this weapon was. that guy was jumping all around doing every little thing for her.

if the kid (or anyone) doesn't already know all the parts on the gun and how to stand properly, etc, then they have no business touching or being near the weapon. it looks like he's basically doing everything for her so she can just pull the trigger. that's what i call playing with fire. so very sad that it happened. my heart will break again when i see the people who will use these peoples' tragedy for their own personal political gains.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I shot a full auto Uzi once at a range where you could rent them by the hundred round. I think ours was a 9mm also and I tell ya, I'm 5'2" and 120 pounds and the puppy tried to take me for a ride. I had to really use my arm and shoulder muscles to control it.

I just cannot imagine that little girl even attempting to shoot it. That poor baby, only 9 will have to carry a terrible burden for the rest of her life. I sincerely hope that she has the support of a close family and faith to carry her through the ordeal.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Why would you teach a 9 year old to shoot a full auto?
Grown men have trouble keeping them from moving around, and the chance she needs to know how to shoot an automatic is pretty slim.
Seems like poor judgement to me
This isn't the first time it has happened either.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Poor kid, scarred for life. Very bad judgement on her parents part to put her in that position. Very bad judgement on the part of the instructor, too.

Nothing wrong with kids learning about firearms, but good grief have some sense and teach them something appropriate for their age, size/strength, level of experience, etc. If she would have been plinking with a .22, everybody would have had a great day.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts