Shoot the neighbor's dog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kanpope, Jun 20, 2006.

1. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

This morning we found a German Shepard stalking our goats. I ran outside and scared him off. He came back a little while later. I am so worried that he will come back and get our chickens or goats later today. I don't think that I am going to let the chickens out today.
    I thought that it was a coyote but dh is sure that it is a domestic dog. I am still not positive. Dh says that if he comes back tonight or tomorrow, and tries to get in the goat yard or chicken coop, he is going to shoot it. But what if it is the neighbor's dog? We cannot and do not want to get close enough to check. I know that they have a GS, but it is really old and seems crippled. I cannot imagine it walked all the way over to our goats, it is about a quarter mile walk. The neighbors do not speak a lick of English, but there is still no way to be sure. Their dogs are outside dogs with no fencing.
    So, any suggestions? I feel between a rock and a hard place...protecting my livestock and not hurting my neighbor's pet????

:help:

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Im a big believer in SSS, but I am also kind of a softie. I would contact the neighbors. Try to find out who owns the dog. Try to make a good faith attempt to get them to contain their dog. If you see with your own eyes this dog killing your animals I think you are completely justified in shooting the dog. I would definatly try to discuss it with the owner first though if your animals have not been harmed.

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

If it comes back, SSS.

4. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I know this sounds sneaky in a way, but I'd just go ahead and follow the SSS rule and never mention the dog to any neighbor in the first place. If they know you are concerned about a trouble dog and suddenly thiers comes up missing, guess who's door they're going to come knocking on?

Killing an animal is not any easy thing to do, and it shouldn't be. But, trespassing animals with intent to harass/kill your livestock is a different ballgame. Keep quiet and do what needs to be done.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Other than the occasional getting loose or away. The neighbor is not very attached to the animal. If it is let to run at will, it is going to get into trouble somewhere's. If they allow this. Shoot it.
    I don't care how much some people "love" their dogs or whatever. If it gets off your land. And kills something. You are not careing for that animal like you should. So you shouldn't have one.Maybe when you get your next one, you will take care of it. So your neighbors won't have to.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Loose dogs happen. This might be the first dog you have had sniffing around your livestock, but it will not be the last.

I would favor a load of rock salt in a shotgun, myself. Under the assumption that the shot will be heard, and the missing dog will be noticed. Rock salt is painfull but not fatal, and is less likely to start a feud.

7. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

What is SSS? How do load rock salt into a shotgun????

8. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Normally I am all for the be a good neighbor and not start a feud. Dogs seem to be a different story. People who don't confine and take care of their dogs just don't seem to get it. I have a new neighbor about a 1/2 mile from me, I have called him three time in the past month to come get his dog from my property. I have been nothing but friendly and I have made no threats or inferences but the next time I see the animal he will receive a lethal crossbow injection. I know it's not the animals fault, he/she is just doing what animals do, and I am just doing what I need to do to protect what is mine.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

If it's not actually attacking my animals I favor a BB or a air rifle pellet in the butt for the first time. Most dogs will take the hint from that alone. If it comes back a second time or is attacking my animals then I get a firearm out to settle the matter.

If you know who the dog belongs to I'd definitely speak with them about it first as that's what neighbors should do for each other. Once.

.....Alan.

10. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

SSS means Shoot the dog, Shovel to bury it, and Shut up, meaning dont say anything to anyone

11. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

just the way to handle this michigan farmer. good post

12. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

SSS. Once a chicken-killing dog, ALWAYS a chicken-killing dog --- reformed or otherwise. You CAN train a dog to stay away from chickens, but it's seldom worth the effort, because you can never trust them around them alone again.

I love animals, I love dogs -- but if the dog is loose and hunting, it's trouble waiting to happen -- trouble that the owners should be well able to understand. I have NO sympathy for people who say "but my Rover would NEVER hurt a fly!" Flies, maybe not -- but there isn't a dog alive who won't give in to instinct if they're not trained otherwise early on. If this dog was stalking your livestock, it's not been trained not to, and will kill if given the opportunity.

Tracy

13. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Well---What I do seems to work without killing the dog. I found some low powered no:9's shotgun shells that I keep in my shot gun. If I have some dog attempting to mess with my animals---I grab the shot gun-----run towards the dog--hollering and fire a shot into the air---usually the dog will take off running away and when he gets about 60 yards away I burn his tail with the next shot. I have never killed one or caused any serious problem that I know of, but I never see the same dog on My Turf anymore. I have seen the dogs rambling up and down the main road, so I know they are ok. Hate to kill my neighbors dog, but My Animals come first!! Good Luck!! Randy

14. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Please think carefully on this advice. We had a chow that was in his own yard not bothering anybody and some nighbor kids shot him with a pellet gun. We didn't relize it for quite a few days and he started to get lead poisening of the brain. He attacked me because someone had the idea it would get a message across to shoot the dog with a pellet gun.
    I do agree if the dog is tresspassing and with your goats that the owner should keep the dog fenced or chained. The dog could just as easy go to the road and get hit by a car. If you want to "warning shot" the dog get a sling shot or just go fully through with the job at hand.

15. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Rock salt loads are handloaded by anyone who reloads shotdun rounds; or you can also do it yourself by uncrimping the top crimp. Empty out the lead shot and refill it with rock salt chunks, then recrimp the shotshell. Not very effective over 40 yards.

16. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Pellet rifle, paint ball gun, use something to deter the dog....I wouldn't talk to the neighbors, that just points the finger at you if ANYTHING happens to that dog in the future.

I personally use a pellet rifle if they come back after me yelling at them and running them off. The ranges I pop them at the pellet won't penetrate, it will just sting. I haven't had any come back after that..

17. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

I tend to agree with this. Talking to them about it seems like it opens a can of worms for them to have issues in the future. Even if someone hits the dog in the road. I think that we are better off protecting our property and then seeing how it plays out.
    At the same time, I feel like it is slightly dishonest. But, I don't even know if it was their dog. He did not seem capable? :shrug:

I agree. I think that a pellet gun is a bad idea. It is not humane. S*&t or get of the pot, right? LOL

18. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think you have an obligation, if only a moral obligation, to tell your neighbors first. if your goat happened to wander into a neighboring garden, would you want it shot dead with no warning?

if you talk to them and it happens again, do what you must.

19. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I grew up with a Shepherd and have one now. They are very determined and head strong dogs. If it were me, if it were my dog, I'd say kill it.

20. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

goats may mess up the garden but theres not a whole lot of worry from an attack. Now if it was a goat that was running up and butting a 3 year old or elderly person then I'd say yeah take the goat down.

How are they going to communicate with the neighbor. It was mentioned that they don't speak english. :shrug: