Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 years ago all of us nurses wore Nike jogging shoes. because they were the BEST for people who were on their feet all day. Well that was 30 years ago!

My son is now applying for jobs that will have him on his feet all day: what brand of shoes should he be looking at? I do not want his feet to hurt more than they have to!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I swear by my skechers delites. I dunno if they make them for men but they're so cushioned and light as air, but wouldn't be good if there was a risk of heavy stuff falling on your feet. I'm a CNA by the way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
When I worked 10-12 hour shifts in retail, I wore Ariat boots every day. They saved my feet and knees. I also love the Natural Uniforms clogs from Marcus Uniform, but they only sell them in women's sizes.

·
Registered
11,404 Posts
Terri - I think we recently had a thread about this and for the same reason. Had a pretty good discussion - pro's and cons of different makes. Maybe you'll find it in the archives.

Reactions: BlueRose and Terri

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
What kind of job? Indoors? Outdoors? walking? standing? Heavy machinery or parts? Light stuff? Waiting or Retail? It all depends on the kind of job before we can recommend? Boots or tennies? Dress or casual? Mucking stalls?????????

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I think that fit is more important than most anything else. Please encourage him to be fitted by a trained professional in a small shoe store instead of fitting himself. Each foot is different and what is as comfortable as walking on air for one person can feel like walking on razor blades for another. When I worked on a hospital medical floor people ranted and raved about some European made shoes that had insoles that kind of molded into the shape of the bottom of your feet. They felt like I strapped 2X4s on my feet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before I moved to the country, I lived in Chicago and was a professional dog walker. I walked those city streets for five hours a day and Merrrells were THE best shoes, hands down.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I think shoe manufacturers are missing the point of designing comfortable shoes. They don't specify the inside depth of the shoes. They don't make shoes in stretchable fabric uppers. They don't care if your toes are pinched or your feet swell during the day. They design/sell shoes using old outdated standard measurements.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I have a pair of Brooks walking shoes that have served me well. About $125 up front, but I've been wearing them almost daily for 2 years now. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
For my job (standing and walking on concrete floors) I love my Dansko clogs. I used to wear comfortable and well fitted sneakers or hiking boots, and was happy, but they wear out after a short while and some kinds of boots can be much too warm in some weather. The Dansko clogs have lasted for 2+ years.

Reactions: BlueRose and Terri

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As a nurse I always wore Nikes. My podiatrist now recommends New Balance or Asics. New Balance, he said, offers the best support to the wearer's foot. Asics run a close second. If you go with New Balance, buy directly from the company as you will save a bunch of money if you do. Plus they have extra fast shipping. I went to a local Brown's Shoe Fit to get sized and bought my first pair there. From then on I went factory direct. Shoes that I paid 157 for locally were only 137 from the company plus free shipping. I think I had them in three days.

My husband wears New Balance and Brooks and likes them both equally.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
New Balance has one shoe that is approved for mail carrier use by the USPS. After years of using their other models, I have tried them and they are quite good. The toe box is a little smaller than I would like, but tolerable.

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So MANY good shoes for him to choose from! When I was working on my feet there were very few well designed shoes for me to choose from.

DS has been applying at grocery stores to do stocking and such. He has had a couple of interviews but no job yet.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I stand in front of a lathe all day. I like Red Wing Brand. They are a little more expensive but my feet are in good shape at the end of the day.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
Go to a podiatrist and have him fitted for orthotics.
Yes you'll pay around $300-$400 for the orthotics and shoes to put them in but they will last for years and his feet will love him.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I personally like new balance, and pay the extra for the high arch extra padded insert. But I wear a 2E width shoe, and not many other shoe brands are available in that width.

Dawn

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Another vote for Ariats. The construction is top notch, and the gel insoles help me stay on my feet all day in comfort. In addition to other styles, I always have a pair of H2Os. They're waterproof leather, with the comfort and flexibility of a sneaker, and the support of a steel shank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts