Shocking mail received today!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Junkman, May 10, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Received a big brown envelope from the US Dept of Agriculture today addressed to wife. In it was a Fact Sheet on Q&A of the Avian Influenza,
    a large colorful poster w/big white chickens on it and stating "How to
    Protect Your Birds." Also, 3 other flyers and a CD on Backyard Biosecurity.
    Now, the BIG question... how did the USDA know we have 10 CHICKENS!
    Also, why sent in dh's name? If you think for one moment Big Brother does
    not know what you are doing, think again! :shrug:

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Now I'm confused. I thought 'dh' stood for 'Dear Husband'. But you said it was addressed to your wife.

This is the only forum that uses those dd, dh, dw, ds, etc abreviations. I guess I never have figured them out?

--->Paul

3. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

DH, just a slip of the finger on the keyboard! It was addressed to wife! :shrug:

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Maybe they just sent them out to people who met their criteria for most probably having chickens. I mean this *is* the government we're talking about. The same government who cannot even transfer a phone call to the right extension.

Maybe your dw had signed up for something many moon ago on the internet that uncle sam might have puchased the database for. I don't know about you, but *I* can't remember all the danged things I sign up for on the 'net.

I sure hope that is the answer anyway. I would hate to think that "they" are keeping that close a tab on who, what, where, when and why....

donsgal

5. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Did you ever purchase a chicken from a hatchery or a store? If so, they have to report who recieved all their poultry. I was told by the State Vet that every retail place that sells poultry to the general public is required to keep records of how many, when, who and where those birds are.

I never registered, but I am in their registry.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've bought chicks, ducklings, and goslings from hatcheries, and I'm sure that got my name in some data base somewhere. But when I buy poultry from the feed stores they've never taken any information like that from me. I haven't bought any birds this year, so maybe it's something new?

Kathleen

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I got the same package when I requested it online. Did she request it?

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Does your feed store have your name and address?

9. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Homebirtha, that is precisely how Maryland is going to do it. I spoke to the lady in charge of registering chickens and asked how they were going to create a database and that is on her agenda; to contact feed stores.

10. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Wife !!!! How politically incorrect !!

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

ah poo on political correctness

12. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

I got my shocking mail yesterday too. My Livestock Premises Registration card that I had to get because of my giant livestock operation of 2 gilt pigs and 5 pheasants. At least I didn't have to pay anything for it.

13. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

If you have a farm tax number the info is put in the data base of the store and subject to perusal by the feds. I don't have a farm tax number and I never bought birds from a hatchery and right now I am getting all my new birds via the mail as eggs from private owners who aren't talking lol...

The net gets tighter....

Arklady

14. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Guess I will not be ordering from ideal poultry again as planned, I will have to find some one from HT to get my birds from most probably.

15. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I thought McMurray was opposed to nais? You may try them...

My neighbor's recieved a questionaire on their sheep. They've no clue how anyone knew they had them, as they've only got a couple ewes they use for lawn mowers. They were asked all sorts of questions, like how many, profit, what they did with the wool...she ignored it, then got another, then a phone call. I think she eventually answered as they told her she had to tell them.

16. hedgeapple

hedgeapple Well-Known Member

17. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of forum's use those abreviations....

18. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Thanks, I think you folks found the answer. Yes, we bought the chickens from a feed store (had to order them), Yes, the farm store where we purchase feed knows us and perhaps the big satalite in the sky has us on their radar. And I thought you guys were kidding when one of the threads a while back said they could be seen visiting their
    outhouse.

19. Bitsy-Bet

Bitsy-Bet Well-Known Member

At a chicken swap at our county seat a couple weeks ago, a lady told us that she and her husband ordered some (30) chicks at the feed store that morning and had to fill out all kinds of forms before they could get on the list. Others there ordered that same day at the same feed store and didn't have to fill out the Avian Flu forms. I was wondering if it was a hit and miss situation or if it might depend upon how many chicks were ordered? Any ideas?