Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Irish setter one is the traditional setter the other is a red setter. My shock collar is on a very low setting for the red setter as anything more than 30 will make her yelp. I keep it at 20 it works she dosen't yelp but she moves her head towards it and gets the message about unacceptable behaviour so it's great with her. My other setter I've put it on the highest setting and nothing absolutely nothing it's as if nothing happened. I know it is on them properly since it works so well for one not the other. Any advice? The vibrate works but not as effective as a light aock the other one barely receives shocks anymore since after the first two times she got the idea and for her it's just the beep in rare occasions it moves to vibrate and that's all it takes she knows what comes next.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Different fur types?

Different dogs can have different pain thresholds just like people.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Registered
847 Posts
Some dogs more stubborn than others. Is this an invisible fence collar, a no bark collar or a training/hunting collar? The dog that "doesn't get it" is going continually test boundaries. I had a dog like that once... escape artist. She tested the electric fence I put her in every day or two. Like, she just wouldn't learn. She never did learn and eventually had to be chained up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also thought of their coat. You say they’re both Irish Settlers, but if one has a thicker coat it may not be contacting skin. If you have longer prongs for the collar, try those, and maybe a little tighter around the neck.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
And there are those dogs who get so focused, they ignore the shock.....I had one of those!

Have you changed the battery? It may be defective.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And there are those dogs who get so focused, they ignore the shock.....I had one of those!

Have you changed the battery? It may be defective.
It works fine on my field setter in fact she yelps if it’s set higher than 30 I put the same one on my male who has a lot more fur and set it to 100 and absolutely nothing even if he’s not focused I tired when he was just relaxing and laying on the ground still nothing not even a movement

1 - 9 of 9 Posts