Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traveled with a pregnant doe (2 months) yesterday and the weather turned on me fast, cold rain and wind. So when when we got home she was shivering and weak, I gave her a dose of goat drench solution that is for stressful times, kidding etc. She had some trouble standing last night after traveling but now seems better except she is still shivering. I am feeding her good grain and hay and have given her 2 more doses of the drench. And yes I am sorry I traveled with her. Is there anything else I should do or any warning signs I should look for with her. She is in a enclosed barn now that is damp but has dry bedding areas.

Thanks,

Bad goat mother

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
She is in a enclosed barn now that is damp but has dry bedding areas.
this is the perfect area for a stressed goat to get pneumonia. instead of goat drench (what ever that might be) a dose of fortified b complex and bo-se would be the better choice.
i would open up the barn and let air flow, but no draft.
if she still shivers, a blanket would help;)

congratulation to your new goat :)

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I was thinking maybe warming up some towels in the dryer and put them on her. And maybe give her some warm water with a little molasses in it to drink. Hope she stops shivering...poor gal.

·
Kathy
880 Posts
Yep I would give her something warm to drink and check her temp...Also maybe some banamine...

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Is this doe new to your place? Does she have anybody else with her? If she is new, she is probably freaking out.
Sorry I dont have anything else to offer that would help you.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Unless she is used to the grain you are giving here I would stop it. She needs hay in a rumen to warm her up, alfalfa hay of course would be best, good grass hay is fine also as long as it has some nutrition to it. A goat burns the roughage in their rumen and heats their body up, a goat who is shivering is starving also of forage in her rumen. If her rumen is sluggish and she is not chewing her cud and that is why you are having this shivering than it's an emergency situation. She also is then not making B vimatins, which are only made in a healthy rumen.

I would definetly jacket her, if all you have is sweatshirts use them, just cut the arms off shorter so it is up passed her knees. She doesn't need to be using the extra energy to keep herself warm. Vicki

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is not new to the place, she has another doe and a wether with her. She is used to the grain and has hay.
It is called nutri-drench for goats, it has molasses and lots of vitamins including calcium, phos, A, D, E, selinium, thiamine, niacin (Vit B's). It is a nutritional supplement.

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
Have you checked her temp?

If she's thirsty maybe some warm water would help take the chill off.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Are they eating the hay?

Nutra drench is fluff, it is nothing but sugared propolyn glycol which is already sugar with not even enough vitamins in it...it would take 1 ounce to even meet the needs of viatmin E for the day in one goat. Put some on your tongue, it is also nearly caustic, like with propolyn glycol it needs to be tubed.

Without a rumen full of hay first, then some grain, your goats will shiver. Vicki

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No more shivering! Went on a nice sunny walk in the woods today and she is running around like normal.
Good to know about the nutra-drench, I was giving her an ounce though, per the instructions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
30cc is a whole lot of anything to put down the throat without tubeing.

You would be further ahead with a 400 IU capsule of vitamin E from wallmart and a shot of fortefied B complex. Vicki

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Great! Glad she is better and settling in :) Nothing more scary than a shivering critter that won't stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts