shipping goats ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kelli, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Kelli

Kelli Active Member

My dh suprised me by purchasing 2 nigerian doelings. We have to make airline shipping arrangements but every time we call they tell us something different. we've been told that it depended on size of kennel, then weight of animal, then no we don't ship goats at all.... then one tells us one kind of kennel and another employee another kind.

Please, if you ship goats via airlines who do you use and what are the rules?

Thank you,

Kelli

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Delta seems pretty reliable.

Delta Airlines at 1-888-736-3738, 7a.m. to 12 p.m. CST.

3. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I have used Delta also to ship lambs cross country. They need the size of the kennels and the total weight. The breeder will also have to get health certificates from the vet. Ask Delta for very specific information on what they want listed.
    Good luck

4. Kelli

Kelli Active Member

Thanks, but Delta is the main one giving us trouble. Trying to work out a day & time with owner plus weight of goats etc, we'd call them right back get someone else on the line with different everything (#of crates to airport, which airport,goats per crate and even how old they must be... :no: )

I am just worried that if we get everything squared away then something will be changed when the owner goes to the airport & there will be problems. If our choice of airports weren't 3-7 hours away I'd go there and talk to someone face to face. I've looked on websites but Deltas animal one I can't get linked to.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

kelli did you try going to the delta website....if cant get the information on the site use the contact us link......ask all you need to know and that way you will have it in writting[or email anyways]...hope this helps...Dale Anne

6. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Found this for ya hope it helpshttp://www.delta.com/care/faq/travel_faq/pets/index.jsp

7. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Hi Kelli,

We've shipped with Delta on 3 occasions. The following are the guidelines we followed & had no problems:

You need a health certificate from a vet. Go to your stated department of agriculture website (call, too!) to determine what they must be free of. We had to be free of TB & Brucellosis but your state may be different. There is a waiting period for the lab results. The health certificate is usually good for 30 days overall, BUT airlines will only accept it for 10 days.

You will probably need a import permit for your state. The permit # can be written by the vet onto the health papers.

You will need the goat to be able to fit into a crate, and the goat must be able to stand up and turn around.

The crate CANNOT be of the collapsible kind-a regular dog kennel works well. (food, water firmly attached to crate, also). Only one animal per crate.

Pricing for under 70#'s is the same no matter what the weight(in my experiences). Over 70#'s i'm not sure.

The airlines usually need minimum 24 hours notice. Shipping temperatures must be below 85 degrees, but above 45 degrees in both locations, UNLESS the vet writes an acclimation on the health certificate.

The goat must be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure.

I hope this helps-I think I covered everything, and yes, I've gotten several different responses for the same question asked. It is confusing.

Ellie

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I guess it just depends on your location, as we don't have any problems shipping, I just shipped a buckling and doeling in the same kennel last week.

First other than confirming the price once the reservation is made, the reservation should be made by the seller. You can then pay for it by sending her money or having the animals sent COD, you then pay at the airport when you pick them up. The buyer goes to the vet, and simply have her call her vet before the visit for the vet to call the animal health commission of their state, telling them the goats are flying from point A to point B. They will tell her vet what if any tests they need, what needs to be on the health certificate, letter of acclimation etc. The kids then will have a health certificate which will state their wieght, they do not wiegh them at the airport. All goats that can fit into a size 100 kennel or smaller run the same price right now from Houston to most cities north is $180....$160 to California. The weight of the kennel is predetermined and you can find kennel listings at jefferspet.com The goat must be able to stand up, so make sure your overall heighth of the kennel is more than the heighth of the goat from ground to the top of the shoulder. Once again, any breeder shipping stock would already know all this, and tell you which kennel to send to them. The shipping is the responsiblity of the seller, with you paying for the shipping, a health certificate, the kennel, the goats of course, and any handling she may charge. Always get the flight insurance $6 for $600 worth of insurance is a must and I make all my customers get it, dogs or goats. We have never had to use it, we have had never had any problems from Delta, or Contenintal, a few unexpected layovers, but always healthy goats and dogs delivered.

It's exciting, we can read that in your post! vicki