Shipping Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kfriel, Nov 21, 2006.

1. kfriel

kfriel Member

Hi, Has anyone ever put a kid goat on an airplane for shippment? I was wondering if it's like shipping a small dog or are there more restrictions. Thanks

2. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Depends on what state you are importing them into. You need a health cert (like a dog) and the testing that is required by each state, and probably a scrapies id - again, based on the state. If you tell your vet you're going to ship, they will be able to call the state vet in the recipient's state and determine the requirements.

I think goats travel much better by air than with the stock haulers! Good luck!

Andrea

3. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Here is a link that may be helpful:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/

We've used Delta Pet & have had no problems. Crates should be airline approved. The cheapest price I was quoted was $171.00 for 70#'s max, going up according to crate size & weight. If your shipping/receiving multiples be sure to call the airlines. Although I've been told several times by the sellers you can ship 2 kids in one crate-the airline will not accept them in one crate-you have to have two. I was told it was a fairly new reg. as of about 1 1/2-2 years ago & they wouldn't do it (puppies from same litter are different, I believe-never shipped pups).
    Hope this helps

HF
    added: oh, forgot to mention. Depending on the state your shipping from, bluetounge testing may be required. It was not listed on the online regs the last time I received animals. My state requires it if from a couple of the lower states.

4. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We researched this last year, so some of this could be outdated by now:

Airlines that Ship Pets

Alaskan Airlines
    www2.alaskaair.com/cargo/AS_QX_SpecialHandling.asp#Animals
    Alaska Airlines Cargo Customer Service Center at 1-800-225-2752 or Horizon Air GoldStreak Customer Service Center at 1-800-547-7660.

Aloha Air
    www.alohaairlines.com/cargo.htm
    Customer Service Center at 1 (888) 94ALOHA

Air Canada
    www.aircanada.ca/cargo/products/animals.html

American Airlines
    www.aacargo.com/shipping/instructions/animals.htm

Continental Airlines
    http://www.cocargo.com/cocargo/CargoPages/liveanim.asp

Delta Pet First
    www.delta.com/travel/trav_serv/pet_travel/index.jsp
    If you have questions about shipping your pet as air cargo or you want to book a flight, please contact a Delta Air Logistics professional at 800-DL-CARGO (800-352-2746).

Northwest Airlines
    www.nwa.com/services/shipping/cargo/products/ppet.shtml
    1-800-NWCARGO (1-800-692-2746) When your pet is traveling unaccompanied.

Singapore Airlines
    www.singaporeair.com
    The carriage of pets in the aircraft cabin is not permitted. Pets may, however travel in the air-conditioned cargo hold of the aircraft as long as they are placed in a suitable container and have the proper health, vaccination
    documentations and entry permits as required by the countries of entry and/or transit. Please ensure that these documents are in order. Advance arrangements for pets are required.

United Airlines
    www.ual.com/page/middlepage/0,1454,1047,00.html
    United Cargo at 800-UA-CARGO

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

My friend shipped two kids out last spring from Ohio to Oregon and they were allowed together in one crate. Don't know which airlines.

6. HappyFarmer

I sure would appreciate if you could ask who the airline is. I have a few more bloodlines I'd like to add to my collection & it gets expensive.
    HF

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I believe you can ship up to 2 in a crate on most airlines.

8. HappyFarmer

Well now that is not the first time others have told me this when I've posted about shipping 2 kids in 1 crate.

Apparently I need to find another airline as Delta has made me use 2 crates (twice!), and this extra cost was a deciding factor on a third shipment (from 2 to 1 kid). I wonder if it has to do with what department you speak to? Geesh I feel had!

Next shipment I will be shopping around a bit more. Thanks. (giving back the thread)
    HF

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I know what we have found here is that the guys who run the Delta shipping office are alot stricter than the letter of the law they are supposed to go by, and you do not want to question them. I know this last spring I could not ship 2 does in one carrier from Washington to Texas via Continental, and two other carriers I don't remember offhand who they were. Here the animal must be able to stand up and turn around without touching the crate, other places...New York to Texas, the kids head can touch the top of the crate. Receiving a buck my guys had him out of the kennel and were fuming about how small the crate was. Which technically was against the rules. I bribe my guys with soap baskets :)

The biggest problems with flying has always been the cold of winter and the heat of summer, very strict temps on flying it must be between 60 and 80 degrees. Do make sure they are looking at caprine rules though and not dog rules. And simply call the carriers to get the rules, show up at the airport (our actually fly out of cargo holds, not the airport proper here in Houston) really early so you can redo crates, don't forget feed bowls even though they won't be eating anything at that age, and they have to have non slip pads in the bottom now....when purchasing your crates they have under $3 shipping kids (2 cups, a pad and Live Animal Stickers). Vicki

I prefer to fly my kids in rather than drive them home. Vicki

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Don't forget AI !!! Much easier & safer to transport than a live kid!