Shipping Frozen Meat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by idontno, Aug 28, 2004.

1. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Hi...My daughter lives in Boise Idaho I want to ship her a 1/2 of holstein beef.Frozen.Can anyone or has anyone ever done this? .Can someone give me imput on this matter.I live in Western Kansas, .The closet airport is 300 miles. I could put on local plane to there but,without paying a lot to shuttle it there.What kind of container and how much Dry ice will I need.Short of 10-15 coolers full.She wants some good meat besides store bought.There is nothing like a grass-grain fed Holstein.I know around the holidays isn't a good time to ship...But think it will be Mid November when it comes time.The Holsteins are at 1900 lbs now and I plan on full feed grain for 2 month before the big day.I want to get them with a little fat on their bones first.So ...I will be shipping around 7-800 lbs at once.ANy ideas? Shipping? packing? cost? Thanks .......

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Holy Cow! I haven't the foggiest idea, but I'd imagine that you could call a local producer/butcher in Boise and order two WHOLE grass-fed Holsteins delivered to their door for the price of shipping a half.

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

How about I come get it and deliver it? You can throw in the other half for me.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Would you mind going down further to the Rabbit area and ask there. There are people that ship frozen meat all the time...maybe they can give you some idea.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

First of all...half a holstein beef won't weigh 700-800 pounds. You'll lose 60% between killing and haning and another 30% between hanging and cutting.

There are insulated boxes you can ship in. Look up "insulated shipping boxes".

Fed-ex and UPS will both ship meat and dry ice. The requirements get more stringent if you go over 5 pounds.

Why don't you just meet in the middle and deliver it? It would be a day trip for each of you.

Jena

6. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

You are saying that a 2200 lbs animal will weigh out at 880lbs hanging.and lose another30% cuting it up will equal 616 lbs lbs of meat?I think you MIGHT be close but I just had a 1,000 lb cow butchered and it went all to burger.I had 458 lbs.Plus back strap and liver and heart.Or am I missing something here?

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Your cow is about right....1000 x .60= 600 pounds hanging, minus .25% cutting loss = 450 pounds. Cutting losses can vary from 25-30%, sometimes as high as 35%. Cows are generally leaner than a slaughter animal and will result in more meat (in ground form) than a steer cut into retail cuts.

All those percents are rules of thumb and each animal will be different. Holsteins do not yield as well as a beef breed (that's why they bring less in the market). They have more bones vs. meat.

Jena

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

In my previous post the "over 5 pounds" refers to the amount of dry ice.

Jena

9. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

Hello from Iowa: If you have a van or pick-up, use a freezer and haul it to her half way, Plug it in at intervals, and she can always sell the freezer...klh