Shipping crisis for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shahbazin, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Do you get baby chicks in the mail? Does your feedstore? If you want to continue to get chicks shipped to you, help is need! At the least, contact your gov't reps & let them know that you want shipping chicks through the mail to be continued. This may have been posted before, but I'm crossposting from a poultry list.

2. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

$50???? What are they going to do with all that money?

3. Shahbazin

They use it to pay for lobbyists. I think it's mostly hatcheries & big breeders that are members, but a few stamps on letters to let elected people know what we think would be cheap & do some good, too. I don't ship chicks, but I do ship adult breeding stock, which are also impacted by this.

4. DwnByTheCreek

DwnByTheCreek Mom of 2 boys(5 & 3)

Even if You don't ship chicks, where do you get your chicks and even if you buy localy it is almost sure that someone some where along the way shipped chicks in the mail, if you want to be able to continue enjoyinf chickens than we all need to support this effert!!

5. Shahbazin

Some more info on this problem - from a poultry breeder in NY -

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I just got 500 chicks in the mail today, no problem. Guess they come by truck or something.

Jena

7. Shahbazin

It's a real matter of luck - if you're in an area accessable by direct flights or ground, you're OK, but many folks are not so lucky :( Most stuff to southern CA is routed through a transfer in Salt Lake, so I'm expecting difficulties with a poult order, unless things are straightened out soon.