Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
I had a 40 ft one. Used it for storage only. But I'll tell ya - it's steel - it's COLD. If you
are going to use it as a shop ya better figure how to keep it warm in winter in Washington.

Reactions: InHisName

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Saw a guy who used one for temporary storage until he could get an outbuilding put up and for that it was great.
He tried using it for a work shop later and it was just too narrow.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I put two twenty footers side by side twenty feet apart, then added a roof. I use the containers for lockable storage and do work in the covered space between them. I like the arrangement, they are very strong, lockable and rodent proof.
If I was doing it again, I would have put down a concrete slab.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
We took a 40 footer and cut them in half, added concrete for floor between the two and a roof that covered the structure at my old house. I enjoyed it for about 10 years. We sold that house this Spring and I miss it terribly! My late husband had his shop in one of the containers and I had storage in another. We parked between the two as it created a garage. Storage also in the roof area above. We had shelves inside each unit. It was hurricane proof lol! Because we have snow, it did require the roof. Otherwise the condensation was an issue during the latter part of winter during thaw spells from the snow. Hot as **** in the summer... but once we put on the roof the fluctuations went way down. I wouldn't have one without a roof. I enjoyed having one. Surprisingly it didn't hinder my ability to sell the home either. I had over asking price within 24 hours of it being on the market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts