Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Looking to hear from people who have or are using conex shipping containers for small square bale storage.

Pro Con what you wouldn't do again and what you would do instead. Etc.

Thanks in advance

Loren

·
Registered
937 Posts
We have the 40' long 8' wide (high cube) which is 9.5' tall, we can fit 300 small bales inside, with enough room left over for a few bags of feed. We do leave the doors ajar most of the time to prevent mold, especially during the hot Summer months when the hay is still fresh. We haven't pulled out any moldy hay in 3 years of doing this.

Make sure you place it on a level base that won't start sinking...the conex is around 9000#, and the 300 bales of hay is another 15,000-18,000#.

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
I had a 40ft. shipping container that I put on railroad ties. I had two wind turbines installed on top to pull out the summer heat. I'd tarp them in the winter, although I'm not sure that was necessary. It was used to store 100 lb. 3 wire bales. Never had a mold problem.

Reactions: Loren LeSavage

·
Super Moderator
40,781 Posts
$2200 delivered for a 40 footer high top conex...try to get a small (1/3 the size) shed delivered, or built for that price !
They are economical storage units. I would put a cupilo on top for ventilation though. Nice dry hay has a lot of moisture. Our boy had one delivered a couple weeks ago, supposed to be rodent proof. His is yellow, forty footer, eight feet wide. I'm urging him to get gallon of red paint and put a red "velvetta" logo on side facing the road.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I keep my hay in a forty footer set on railroad ties. I buy a squeeze at a time, that is 64 one hundred pound three string bales. It is very dry here so I don't have a problem with mold. I use two bales a day, so it never stays in the container for more than 32 days. I don't know it this would work in a humid area. My container is very old and beat up, though still weather tight. I gave $800.00 for it and hauled it myself.

·
Shazbot!
4,900 Posts
The hay needs to be completely dry before putting it in the container. I put a load of bermuda squares in an enclosed trailer and left the rear doors open and the top vent cracked. Went to check it a few days later, water was dripping from the trailer ceiling inside. It needs enough air flow to allow the moisture to get away.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
The hay needs to be completely dry before putting it in the container. I put a load of bermuda squares in an enclosed trailer and left the rear doors open and the top vent cracked. Went to check it a few days later, water was dripping from the trailer ceiling inside. It needs enough air flow to allow the moisture to get away.
Old hay barns were built with spaces between the wooden side boards. I would worry hay would mold OR if hay not dry enough start a fire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts