Shipping Container as a Storm Shelter?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

For those who live in harm's way, you might consider a shipping container as a stout storm shelter. Perhaps raise it off the ground just a tad with cap blocks and then have a company which ties down manufacturered homes run three to four straps across it, anchored with hurricane screws as deep as they can get them. Those with sandy soil may have to have a footer poured for securing it.

Inside could be lined with bunks made from 2"x4"s and foam pads. Below the bottom ones there would be room for water and other emergency storage.

The doors will have to be equipped with a lock bar inside and you may want to put in an emergency escape hatch.

If you expect flooding, then this may not be an option.

Ken Scharabok

2. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

another point, ken, these containers are probably stout enough to bury - given good water table conditions and drainage

3. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

If they were going to use it for a hurricane shelter, I don't think I would want to bury it. In fact, I think I would want it elevated on concrete pillars. :D

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put a small pontoon inside with an air mattress on it. put a trap door in the top in case you want to release a dove to search for dry land.

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I have considered burying one of the corrugated plastic ( usually white or yellow) septic tanks inthe size of about 750 gallon. They come with 2 manholes and could be buryed in a hillside with one end showing for light and one of the 4 inch holes cut out for ventilation. You would put a 4 inch piece of PVC out the hole with an elbow pointing down. This wuld be watertight and they are designed to be buried. Would make a great root cellar when no storms are around.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

8. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw the other day on a local new station, that they were building a home for a lady out of these container boxes.

Seems like it was 4 that they had put together and were finishing inside and outside to make it look like a house. They also had put a roof over them.

It made me think of the book about the Boxcar Children I read when I was young.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I loved the boxcar children book! Wanted to live in one when I was a kid. Wanted to be a gypsy too! Wonder how much the shipping container would run?

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

All depends where you live. If you wanted it for tornado shelter, you sure wouldn't want the thing up in the air, bury it! :)

I believe shipping containers run around $1000, depending on if you want a 20' or 40', and where you are located can be more or less than that.

--->Paul