Shipping companies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barefootfarmer, Mar 29, 2005.

1. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

I am looking for a shipping company that doesnt charge an arm and a leg. I need a small pantry door shipped from a few states away. Also does anyone use refridgerated shipping with good results and price?

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

I work for a wholesale nursery, so we see the reefers on a fairly regular basis. There is no such thing as "reasonable" for any shipping rates anymore! A 50 foot load from coast to coast these days approaches $5000. If all you have is a partial load, the problem is in finding the right space on a mixed load going the right direction, at the right time. Plus, with multi-picks and multi-drops, there is an added charge for every extra stop the driver has to make. Sometimes it's as high as $75 per stop! Since it's money per mile and there's more demand than there are trucks at this time of year, lots of drivers won't mess with anything but a full load from a single pick-up to a single drop. Further complication, nursery stock and edible produce can't go on the same truck for sanitation reasons. In general, nursery stock goes 38 to 42 degrees, vents open, and everything is happy for the 3 or 4 days it takes. Once in awhile you hear horror stories about drivers who ice everything up, but overall, my experience with reefer shipping has been good. I guess it depends on how fragile or sturdy your shipment is, whether it can withstand the possible variables in temperature, and the possibility that it will take longer than planned to arrive.

As for your pantry door, you might try calling Greyhound. I can remember years ago, they would sometimes put on freight as space allowed. If you go by UPS, there will be an up-charge because it will be out of their standard dimensions for the weight class.

Susan

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

For Greyhound shipping........... http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Also check local Railroad Station, they use to have a similar service on passenger trains. Don't know if that is still available.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Call your local L T L co's. such as Yellow or Roadway, they will need size and weight with the delivery address.to quote but be prepared to pay$$$$.Also try United Parcel Service ,the tale oversize pc's. too.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Definitely consider UPS. As mentioned, dimensions may be a problem with UPS ground, but likely not freight. Is taking the wrapped door to a UPS direct shipping point (one of their depots or stores - not a commerical drop-off point) with pickup at one near you an option? They may be more flexible there.

www.ups.com

Ken Scharabok

6. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

well looks like UPS is the only sensible one at this point, at least for the door, but thanks everyone for all the input, it was greatly appreciated.