Shhhh! My first SSS~~

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Sep 10, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Dang critter!

We have dozens of birds, all varieties.
    All sorts of trees in a variety of hard woods, soft woods and assorted ages and stages of growth and deteriation.

Why are they wanting to mess with my house?

So----- I got a chance to make use of the 12 guage.

2. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

you aren't supposed to name the animal haha.

But you must have a pretty good shot to hit something small. I hope you didn't hit your house in the process LOL

3. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Over here they're "protected." Ugh. They attack our house every year and then peck on the metal part at the top of our fireplace to attract the ladies... makes a huge racket.

4. standfasttoo

standfasttoo Member

5. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

They are protected here as well, so you may want to keep this a little hush hush tallpines.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

ummmm, you got the shoot and shovel part right, but ya kinda messed up on the SHUT-UP part!!!!!!

7. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

LOL, that's too funny! The first time it happened here it scared the bejeebers out of all of us and set my littlest to crying. :grump: Later we found out it was some weird version of a mating call. :p

davel745 likes this.
  8. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Tallpines, I'm sure this bird caused you great frustration to drive you to do what you did. Nonetheless, I have to agree with Wind in her Hair's comments. Woodpeckers (and almost all wild birds) are Federally protected. Your state wildlife department should be contacted for assistance with nuisance wildlife. If necessary, they can give a permit to kill a nuisance animal legally.
    I hope no one else reading your post will decide to follow your example! :nono:

9. jross

jross swamper

I can understand why Tallpines did what she did and will not provide condemnation as others have, because I wasn't there to witness. I wouldn't do it, because sounding areas go the the highest in the pecking order, when removed is replaced by the next in line, until there is no more competition. I figure since we feed birds all year round, we supply enough concentrated targets for the local predators. So Tallpines, good shot and remember, landowner's rights come first.

willielisa and joebill like this.
  10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't you love the anonimity of the 'net?

(btw, anyone got a good owl recipe?)

DAVID In Wisconsin likes this.
  11. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

I also have a woodpecker"problem"; but mine was a wakeup call. You see I live in a log home and I checked the area that the bird kept returning too and found out he/she was in fact removing the larva of carpenter bees...making a nasty mess doing it but none the less letting me know I have a problem. I was not aware of the mating drumming, but had heard that they hear/sense the presence of "food" inside of the wood so as to concentrate their efforts on the spot most likely to get results...now that the larva are gone no more woodpecker. I took a gun with me too when I went to investigate that :grump: bird; most likely would have gone "postal" on it too but it was too quick to vacate the area...now I have to control the problem bees AND repair the bird damage.... :flame:
    Now as far as sharing with the local wildlife, I'm all for it but having a problem teaching THEM to share with ME!! The raccoons want my corn,chickens,eggs and turkeys..the groundhogs want my garden, at least one bite out of everything.....the possums and skunks want whatever they can get..the deer want my fruit trees and garden...and me, I feel like the little red hen that did all the work but at the end of the story did not get to keep the loaf!! :nono:

12. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

This woodpecker was obviously brain damaged and you did great removing it from the gene pool.

13. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

BAH hah hah!
    Now *that* was funny!

14. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Oh good grief, let the woman shoot a bird. Reminds me of my MIL, she used to come running out of her house in her nightgown and blast away at the robins eating on her cherry trees.LOL When the blackbirds attacked our sunflower fields, I had the same wish to blast them all way......however it isn't possible to shoot 1 million birds...lucky for them LOL ......actually have never in my life shot a bird......only animals I ever did away with were coons.....nasty corn eatin' thieves......always get to the best, sweetest most beautiful ears before me. :p Been hear'in all the dove hunters poppin' off around here lately. Now that is something I just don't get......shootin' all those beautiful cooing, mated for life doves for a teaspoon full of meat, but to each his own......all doves have sanctuary on this place....as well as pheasants. Oh yeah, we've got two hawks been stalking the yard for the last month and been waking us up at night with their screeching, the chickens are about to have heart attacks. I really do like hawks, heck I think I love hawks......... but dang they better darn well leave my precious chickie poos alone.

Tallpines......no condemnation here. :)

willielisa likes this.
  15. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

People have rights .

critters deserve our respect till they don't respect us.

Then bang.

Tell you what I believe tree frogs are endangered too.

But when I first relocated here if I thought my 22 would have killed thousands I would have tried it. Dang things sounded like some alien music croaking all night long.

I just chopped down all their trees. ( endangered habitat)

Presto no more problems . Tree frogs must have relocated if it makes some people happy the ones I didn't fry up for supper. Their legs that is. I threw the rest away.

DAVID In Wisconsin and jarett like this.
  16. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    If you don't like the animals than move out of the country. There's plenty enough concrete already. :flame:

17. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Gotta agree on most points; I think WIHH was a little tough on her. I don't go dove hunting anymore, but it used to be my favorite sport. Getting soft in my old age, but if a critter (bird or otherwise) is doing damage, and there's no other way to stop it, a 12 gauge is in order. Don't feel guilty, Tallpines.

18. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

now we know who it is. you're on the list....

pax
    t.f.

19. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

(doing Brando)
    Never go against da family..........

20. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Couldn't agree more!!

davel745 likes this.