Shetler's Wholesale - All American Pressure Canners

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

In my latest issue of Countryside, I see that there is a full page ad for Shetler's Wholesale Company in IN. They have All American Pressure Canners ranging in price from $169.95 - 369.95. I can't seem to find a website for this company. Anyone deal with them before?

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I haven't heard of them, but I found a great pressure cooker/canner set for about the same price. It's Rapid-Chef. I use the two sizes I got for cooking as well as canning and it's really simple to use. I even use them as my regular pots when not pressure cooking.

www.pro-selections.com I got the set pictured on the first page of the site.

I got mine at the state fair.

The large canner only holds about 5 quart jars, but that's perfect more me because I don't have large batches to do. The smaller one is great for jelly size jars and one lid fits both pans.

I sound like a commercial, but I have used these pans alot!

3. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

4. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Shetler's Wholesale Company in IN ? My guess there isn't a website because the company's owners are either Old Order Amish or Mennonite.

deb
    in wi

5. Charleen

Yes, I thought of this too, but was curious if anyone has had business with them before and could recommend them. I'm definately interested in the All American Canner. I've used a Presto for years and would like to upgrade. I've heard many good things about the All American, and not just on this forum.

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought mine from Red Hill General Store in Hillsville, VA. Prices range from 156 to 329 on this page:

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/americancooker.htm

For those that are not familiar with the All American brand, it's probably THE best home canner on the market. One of the great features is the metal to metal seal, they don't use a gasket like most canners, that will have to be replaced down the road.

7. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

does anyone know a place to get Weck canners?

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

there is currently a thread about All American canners in the Cooking/Crafts forum below

9. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know about Shetlers, but we do have one of the canners, bought at an Amish store. We love it and would recommend it.

10. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

I have some friends that just moved to KY near Madisonville.
    There is a Mennonite community in the area and they had let my friend borrow the copy that catalog. Lots of neat stuff if I remember we were looking at another one that I can't remember the name of.
    But I would think that you would have really good service with them. I think that add (I saw it also) said phone, mail or fax orders.
    I haven't personally delt with them yet, but I want to get the stainless steel baking pans.

Blessings,
    Debi

11. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Does anyone know if these are suitable for handling a vacuum?

We need a vacuum vessel of about 10 quarts.

Thanks.

12. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't think so....they have two holes in them, one for the pressure weight, and one a rubber plug deal ( safety plug....will blow out before the canner blows if the pressure weight hole manages to plug up ) that seals from the pressure created in the canner as it heats up......but they only work in the outward direction......plus the metal to metal seal is a function of heating the canner.....it actually isn't sealed much when you first start the run.

So it's meant for pressure, not vacuum.

13. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

What do you need it for? I've seen big PVC pipes used as a tank, but not something you could open/close.

14. Charleen

http://www.khimairafarm.com/weck.htm

They are currently out of stock but I know that they are getting some in soon. We use ours for canning and pasteurizing milk, it's wonderful!

15. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I've never investigated the canners but I have ordered quite a few other things from them and had good service.

16. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

PVC Pipe?

I had not thought about that. A section 12" PVC with threaded cap ends maybe 2 foot long. Would fit standing up in a chest freezer. With a vacuum line attached so I can suck it down to 10 pounds of vacuum. And it would hold close to ten gallons.

I may try a freeze-dryer here soon.

:)

17. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

www.Lehmans.com
    They have a real sharp pressure canner. It is quite expensive, but built to last forever. Available in sizes from 10 1/2 quart (holds 7 pints)to 41 1/2 quart holds 32 pints).They also sell repair parts for Presto Canners. Free catalog available with hundreds of items for the Homestead.

18. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

The Lehman's Best canner IS an All American. FYI, the All American comes with a 50 year warranty. I purchased a really old dial gauge canner at a thrift shop, and for 30 bucks in parts, converted it to a modern weighted canner with a gauge, with the bottom disk and a new user's manual. I've used it twice so far, with perfect results. I also like the fact that it's HEAVY aluminum, like around three times as heavy as my Mirro the same size. It makes me feel safer having all that metal between me and the pressure.