Shetlands and BD Southdowns

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Casey, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Casey

Casey Member

I have googled my fingers to the bone and cannot find:

The average weight of adult Babydoll Southdowns?

& The average height of adult Shetlands?

Thanks so much.

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Casey

Casey Member

Bergere:

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I've been to both those sites and been able to find the weight for Shetlands and height for Babydolls but not the other way around.

I'm hoping that there are some members out there who know first hand.

Thanks again.

4. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

One of our neighbors has a couple of Babydolls, & they looked to me about the same size (height) as my Shetlands - but waaay stockier, about like comparing a beef cow to a Jersey. Not sure how much was sheep, other than being much heavier boned, & how much was just they were real fat.

5. Casey

Casey Member

Thanks for the reply.

One stat. I did find on Babydolls was that they can be 150 lbs! I found that very hard to believe even if that weight was for rams.

I have two mixed breed wethers (St. Croix/ Barbados) who are trained to lead but if I have them out and the UPS truck comes rumbling up the driveway ,
    to say I have a hard time holding onto them is an understatement. I enjoy working with my sheep. I don't show but I get alot of satisfaction out of walking, posing, putting them on the grooming stand etc. In order to keep all of us safe, I need something I can control during the occasional "spook". My vet tells me that he is able to pick up his Shetland ewes and he is not a big guy.

The information I'm looking for will, hopefully, help me make a better choice when my flock of 2 becomes a flock of 4.

Thanks again.

6. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi ,
    I raise Babydolls. I haven't weighed anybody lately, but there is no way they way 150 lbs. Even my stockiest ram I would guess not over 100. I only weigh 105 myself and I can pick him up around the belly. If I get a chance, I'll get hubby to weigh some.
    Faye

7. Casey

Casey Member

Thanks so much. I would appreciate that.

8. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Hi Casey,

I raise both babydolls and shetlands so hopefully I can answer some questions for you. Shetlands vary in height. The standard has no height requirements except that undersized sheep should not be registered. The registry site is www.shetland-sheep.org
    So I see small shetlands, medium shetlands, and large shetlands. Some breeders breed them small for easier handling, some like them big for the market. I like mine in-between.
    My babydolls are definetely heavier than my shetlands! No contest. I tip both breeds for hoof trimming, etc. so I know. :) My shetlands and babydolls are around the same height. The shetland is more delicate in build, and the doll is more massive and thicker. Kinda like comparing an Arabian horse to a draft horse of the same height. Just look at the leg bone in both breeds.
    If you are wanting "small" and "light", you may want to go with the shetlands.

[​IMG]

9. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

I also raise both baby dolls and shetlands. The baby dolls are much heavier. I can easily pick up my shetlands and carry them around if I need to the. The baby dolls on the other hand I need assistance with and I am a big guy. As was mentioned in another post, the shetlands ar much finer boned. Their are positive things about both breeds. I do enjoy them both though. I am looking to add another breed, but am not sure what I want to go with. Trying to keep the small size, but am leaning toward hair sheep. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.

Take Care,
    Jeff Port

10. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

If a big guy can't pick up a Babydoll--then its' not a Babydoll. They are very short and stocky. But they weigh no more than my Newfie.

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well no offence but considering I wouldn't try picking up any of the Newfies I've come across in 36 years of boarding dogs and I would consider myself to be a reasonably big guy, the comparison is lost on me. Perhaps you're stronger than you think? I gotta admit there's a little devil in me thinking "There's a big guy test for baby doll sheep registration?" It gets worse as I imagine a cyclops balancing a sheep in one hand and a Grecian sailor in the other and eating the heavier of the two, and so creating babydoll sheep as a distinct breed!!!! OK so I need a little more sleep these days.

All I get from Jeff's post is that his Shetlands are substantively smaller than his baby dolls. I do know there can be some noticable differences regionally in sheep sizes and desirable traits in all breeds.

12. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

OK, OK, let me clarify. I can pick up the baby dolls. When I originally purchased them, I had to put them in the back of my pickup, so up and over the tailgate they went. Most recently however, I had to pick up one of my ewes and place her in a pen with her new lamb. I was struggling with her. Maybe I am out of shape now. :) My point was that my shetlands are nothing compared to the weight of my baby dolls.

13. Casey

Casey Member

You folks are too funny! But, this is exactly the kind of information I need.

I have a very good source for Shetlands near me. (Cabbage Hill Farm NY). I will take a "field trip". The concensus seems to be that height in Shetlands varies by strain.

Thank you all so much.

14. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Actually, the babydoll shouldn't be too short, and the registry discourages registering anything under 18". I just don't want people thinking that smaller is always better, because it certainly isn't.

15. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

Hey Casey, Don't go visit that farm unless you take your checkbook. Shetlands have a way of touching your heart like no other breed. If you can spend a couple of hours around them and leave without one or two or a dozen going home with you then please let me know.

Anybody else ready for this crazy spring weather to change?

16. Casey

Casey Member

I've heard that about Shetlands so I consider myself forewarned!

As we all bemoan the weather on this supposedly second day of spring,
    Check out www.sproutcreekfarm.org
    Click on lambs and then video. It will bring a little sunshine into your day.

17. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

One of my Shetland ewes lambed this morning - twins, a ram & a ewe lamb! The others are all due any day now. You can see one of the lambs in this flock photo I took this afternoon: [​IMG]

18. Casey

Casey Member

Absolutely beautiful!