Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm still dabbling with the idea of keeping a small flock... we have only 3/4 of an acre, so certainly can't keep many, but a few. How many would you guess we could keep on that amount of land, and what is the temperament of your average sheltland ram like (assuming he's dam-raised and not made into a pet)? Can he be left with the ewes and lambs year round?

Do you grain nursing ewes, or as long as they're good keepers leave them just on pasture?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Jen,

You could have three or four on that amount of land, I'm not a big fan of overstocking. I currently have five mature rams, most are very gentle and respectful. The only one who takes an occasional pot-shot at me is my show ram, who was handled a lot when he was young (for the ring.) I simply carry a shepherd's crook when I enter the pasture, and he is respectful.
The heat takes a lot of the sass out of them, they do get more energenic during the rut.
You can run a ram year-round with your ewes, a lot of people do that. But you'll never be able to completely let your guard down while in with them.
We do supplement ewes with grain from about a month before lambing, to 6-8 weeks after lambing. Shetlands are a comparitively thinner breed to begin with, lactation can drag down the ewes, expecially if they twin.
That's just what we do, some breeders don't grain at all.

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
I have had no problems with ram, but he is younger

you need split the acerage at least in half so you can rotate for parasite control

i grain before lambing esp if no grass on yet

you will want to separate the ewe lambs from the ram until they are a certain age after they are a certain age

i was told not to bred them untill 2 years old, im not sure how others do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts