Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that I will be looking after several Shetland ewes for a little while until a friend of a friend gets her fencing in order, and hope you all can help with some questions. All the ewes were bred by a Cheviot ram though no one is sure when they're due. One has just lambed, though.

My Shetlands pretty much take care of things on their own and leave me little to do but give a BoSe shot to the new lambs. The lambs go from milk to pasture with no feeding from me. I've generally had an easy time of it during lambing season (which doesn't start for a couple months yet!).

Will Cheviot cross lambs be much the same, or should I expect to do more? Do they need grain? Tail docking? The ewes are all experienced mothers, thank goodness, so I'm just wondering if the lambs will have different needs from pure Shetland lambs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
You will probably need to band or dock the tails. I don't bother feeding my cheviots grain. They should be pretty similar to shetlands and a good cross. I bet they will be adorable too!!!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that cheviots are easy keepers, too.

Is 1-1/2 weeks too old to band the tail?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I have at that age with no trouble , or as soon as the lambs are off to a good start. Be sure they are vaccinated too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Other than tail docking, they shouldn't need any extra care above what purebred Shetlands get. The tails should be docked, they'll be pretty long.
We dock at 2 or 3 days.
The Shetland-Cheviot cross and Mules (BFL X Shetland) are becoming very popular crosses for meat and fleece.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I love shetlands and cheviots. The cross should be good. Both simalar sizes and both med. wool grades. I love cheviots because the more you comb it the bouncier it gets. Its light and soft and I can't say enough good things about it. Also you can't go wrong with shetland fleece. Its time tested and just wonderful!! Should have some beautiful babies

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, you guys are great as usual.

The lamb is really cute. I have got to learn how to post pictures!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like a good cross, just be prepared for the Cheviot temperament to be a little more easily startled. When we had Cheviots years ago, any little movement resulted in the entire flock jumping straight up and off, each in a different direction. But with the Shetland in them they might be less flighty.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
We have done that cross, the lambing should be a breeze, cheviots produce small lambs at birth, similar to shetlands. As others said, be prepared to band or dock the tails. The lambs are adorable, small but lively and feisty!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this works, it'll be the first picture I've been able to post. He's the first of the Shetland-Cheviot cross lambs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts