Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we finally have a decision on whether the other insurance company will do about dd's car that was wrecked back at the first of July. They will do nothing. Seems Charlotte has some obscure law that exempts wrongful turns in intersections or something. made absolutely no sense to me. I was taught that if you were turning left across the road you had the responsibility not to get hit. Not so around here! you can turn left and if someone is coming straight thru the intersection they need to make sure you make it thru ok. At least our insurance did not have to pay. So dd's car is driveable (if you can legally drive with blown airbags) but is warped. The trunk fills with water and water leaks in the doors (she washed it so we know this for sure). Dh says the front end feels "funny" to him too. She's doing a lot of driving this year between school, work (which will involve traveling to meets this fall) and her social life. So we've been looking at used cars. We're not in any position to help her right now so she going to have to use the $ she's been saving. She's found an suv she likes. She called last night and talked to the people selling it with a list of questions to ask and she set up an appt to go test drive it. I got a quote from insurance to add it on. We'll have to put it in my name to put it on our policy though.....a policy for just her will be more $$ and she'd have to get a new tag instead of transferring the one she has now. She said she'd rather just have it my name than spend more $ than she has to. At 18 there was no way I'd have trusted my mom to put my car in her name! Dh and I rode by yesterday and looked at it. Its nice looking. its older, a 92 Mitsubishi montero, and it just looks like something dd would drive. her car now is a mitsubishi and she has absolutely loved it. So tonight her and her dad go look at it. I hope that it is what she hopes and that it all works out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have an 18 yr old son who recently was in the market for a used car.I knew he was going to be doing a lot of driving the next couple of years.With gas prices the way they are I suggested a honda or something comparable.He wanted an SUV and found hisself a 6 cyl Chevy Trailblazer.Now he complains about gas prices all the time.It cost`s him $50 at the pump every time he fills up.Something your daughter may want to think about.
My little car (toyota corolla,95% made in the USA) only cost`s me $28 at the pump and I can drive almost 400 miles on that. :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I had a SUV (before they were called that thou... old Bronco) in highschool... yeah that lasted only a few months as gas (1st gulf war) was just way to much for my highscool budget.

I admit I felt a lot safer in it than I did in my previous Chevy Chevette I drove, but the gas prices just wasn't worth it. Figure $60 for about 250 miles... I would highly suggest she look elsewhere.

my .02 cents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.